Crankcase - Matching Pair?

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
alanengineer

Re: Crankcase - Matching Pair?

Post by alanengineer »

TrevorCSR, my thoughts as an engineer exactly, but i never worked at the factory and the people that tell me, did. They were clever in the old days
TrevorCSR

Post by TrevorCSR »

"but i never worked at the factory and the people that tell me, did"
Could you just explain that statement for me please. The people that tell you what?
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I never (did not) work at the Matchless factory.
Second part
The people that tell me(People that worked at the Matchless factory when it made motorcycles) Had first hand recollections of what happen in the said factory.
As an engineer, i have asked endless questions about manufacturing at the matchless factory and have usually got a very interesting reply.
TrevorCSR

Post by TrevorCSR »

So, did they tell you that the twin crankcase halves were made separate and would interchange? That is, any left case would fit any right hand case. OR did they tell you they were machined as a pair?
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

The twin halves were made individually.The centre web ditto. All three parts put together with a crankshaft and the thing worked. No special alignment required. Contradicts almost everything said on this forum, but i have no reason to doubt my man in the know
TrevorCSR

Post by TrevorCSR »

That's the sort of info. I have been after. Many thanks for that. From the horses' mouth is better than conjecture.
Makes you start to wonder though…
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

The first Matchless i brought(in bits) had a center web that fitted snuggley in the cases. Every body seemed to think their was a special sequence of 1/2 tightening the nuts of the centre webb, spinning the crankshaft to centralise the webb then doing the nuts up completely. I asked everybody and their dog if mine needed the holes drill larger so i could do the sequence, cos i was lost and confused.
So 30 years later, i can now get the barrels on