G12 ignition switch

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
espenga

G12 ignition switch

Post by espenga »

I have just purchased a 1962 standard G12. This is my first motorcycle ever, and therefore I have a couple of questions. I appologize that they might sound silly to the more experienced.

The ignition key switch on top of the headlamp has got three positions, these are off - on - ignition. But what exactly is the difference between "on" and "ignition"?

I have also read that on a G12 CSR you have to retard the ignition before starting the motorcycle. Am I correct to assume that this does not apply to my standard G12?

I hope someone have got the time to help a beginner!

Espen Garmel

lawrence

G12 ignition switch

Post by lawrence »

Hi Espen
welcome to the site! I am sorry, I am not qualified enough to answer your questions but rest asured that there are plenty of people on the site who are. They will be pleased to help you. Don't feel silly asking questions. even the masters started with no knowledge.

Happy biking. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do! [:)]

Lawrence [}:)]
Eric

G12 ignition switch

Post by Eric »

Hi Espen
My bike has a slightly different version of the switch that has no key.[;)] The three positions on this are marked IGN-OFF-EMG in the IGN position power from the battery is used in the coil ignition system and this is the normal method of operation. [:)]The EMG position should be used if the battery has no power, all of the output from the alternator is diverted to the coil ignition system EMG being the emergency position. [:(] If you manage to get the bike started this way you should then quickly turn back to the IGN position and the engine will continue to run as the alternator will create enough power to start charging the battery and run the ignition. [:D] The OFF position is of course just simply off. [:D] I think the key version of the switch is much the same but you have to push the key down and turn anti-clockwise to move it into the equivalent of the EMG position. At least thats what it says in my book. Your G12 has coil ignition and the function of advance and retard is all automatic so there is no lever provided on the handle bar for this. [^] [^]

espenga

G12 ignition switch

Post by espenga »

Thank you both for your answers!

Thiis forum seems like a really great service, and it is good to have somewhere to turn to when you live in a country where AMC motorcycles are not exactly plentiful!

Espen Garmel

silverarrow

G12 ignition switch

Post by silverarrow »

Espen,

Welcome to the AMC community.

It would help you to have a manual and parts bokk for your model/year. these can be obtained in copy form from BMS www.brucemainsmith.com

There is also lots of free info at http://80.62.76.242 all of which can be downloaded.

Les Smith (silverarrow397) [:o)]
Keep smiling
gsneyd

G12 ignition switch

Post by gsneyd »

If anyone has a spare EMG-OFF-IGN top with key insert I would be very interested in purchasing it. Please advise by return.

Graham