AJS 250 Lightweight?

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
giveup

AJS 250 Lightweight?

Post by giveup »

I have saved a bike from a brother who didn't have time to do anything with it. Unfortunatly I know almost zero about these 2 wheeled contraptions. The "bike" came in assorted bags/boxes and is missing a few parts, tank, seat and handlebars so far. Some body in it's past kindly gave it a lovely coat of what seems like Dulux brilliant white which I am in the process of removing. I need some help with colours and ID and probably a lot more in the future. This will be a tight budget rebuild rather than restoration as it is being returned to said brother who I am sure will do it justice and use it.
Any info on its past will be most appreciated so I can give it a bit of history........Here are some details
it is a 1961 AJS 250, lightweight model14?
reg no 930 CLN
Engine no on V5 10167 Numbers from engine I have 60/14 5722
Gearbox No G11480
Do these numbers make sense to anyone who knows better and are they accurate?
Thank you all in advance
Chris

bjork

AJS 250 Lightweight?

Post by bjork »

You want one of them there workshop manuals you do, and a parts list while you're at it. If the club spares scheme hasn't got them,try Bruce Main Smith, in Leicestershire,good quick postal service and if they don't have it just about no-one will! The Jampot magazine is a good source of parts,as is the classified ads section on this site. The lightweights don't usually fetch a bundle even when they are restored,so keep to the budget make it good and rideable rather than conkers. I still reckon they are a better bike than a C15 or Enfield 250, they just don't seem to get the same recognition, shame. Do the cycle parts black and the tin ware any colour you Fancy. No-one seems to be too picky over these bikes, which is nice, if later the classic police threaten you, at least it was only paint and that's soon fixed innit?[:)]

Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today