Alternator adaptor- dynamo crank

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Does anyone have a Alternator adaptor for a dynamo crankshaft ?
My 58 G11 , has been running a alternator sucessfully for years with a adaptor shaft fitted to the dynamo crank with Alternator prmary case fitted however a few weeks ago while preparing for Westwood ho I fitted a new Alternator Stator and managed to seize it it with too tighter clearance. wrecked the rotor and stator, plus sheared off the adaptor in the crankshaft as a result of loctite on thread.

In the process of removing the broken part , but now need a replacement. does anyone have one that is spare ?
wilko

Post by wilko »

Always wondered if that could be done by just screwing in an extension for the rotor? I doubt if the factory made them. Probably the previous owner machined one up, which would be easy enough.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

just need to clean out the old thread , trying to save having to strip the engine down. problem is that unless it's running very true the clearance on the rotor / stator is a problem . I'll get it fixed just take a few weeks playing getting a 5/8 UNF tap and maching up new parts
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Peter, I was once told that Russell’s stocked these, not sure if that is still the case though.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Thanks Duncan , I'll try to give them a ring this week
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Peter, looked on Russells website for you the other night but they don't list any adaptors. Of course it may be that it is an item that they stock but don't list as it won't have a pt number as it wasn't a factory part.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

i could not find any mention of them either , so will manufacture a replacement . or perhaps use 'no nails' see if it's as good as the advert says.

up to the failure of tjhe alternator . it's been very relaible for severa years giving me enough power for 60/55 headlight
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Just a question. Can't you just revert back to a dynamo? I run a H4 60/55 watt headlight on my outfits with an electronic regulator and have done so for many years. I've also run the Ho with the lights on for the entire night.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

The engine is a bita of parts with a Alternator timing side with pressure relief into the timing cover (no dynamo hole ) , dynamo crank , Duplex frame and '60 running gear
I'll get it sorted, inbetween going to work and keeping the other bikes running. Like some of Roy's bikes a hack / emergency bike the usually just sits in the corner until needed
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

quote: Like some of Roy's bikes a hack

A Hack
Roy