1958 G11CSR Correct Red for Tank ??

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
BrianT

Post by BrianT »

Dear All ,
Can someone advise the correct Red (Cherry or Cardinal) for the 1958 Matchless G11CSR. Whatever is on the Tank/Panel/Toolbox just now is going sticky and lifting under the ravages of Unleaded so called fuel, which has spilled around the filler.
Advice on what paint, and or laquer, to resist/combat this filth would be very helpful. I have just bought the bike and its still in transit. I may be able to find out from the seller and the bike's "history file" what finish is on there now, in case I can go over the top (if im lucky).Meantime I'm keen to know what colour (and spec, for resistance) I ought to apply when I get the machine.
Thanks
Brian
bob

Post by bob »

bob

Post by bob »

Oop's sorry for last post , too quick on the finger .
Don't know about the paint shade , but Halfords do a clear lacquer that is petrol resistant , I've used it and it works .
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Brian-
Try Rob. Evans, of Shropshire Classic Sprayers; he owns one !
See www.restorebike.com , or phone 07800 863969, his advert is in JAMPOT under Services and Trade, and he's good.
BrianT

Post by BrianT »

Thanks Guys, for your quick fourpennyworth. I spoke to Rob Evans and he was most helpful.It seems VW Malaga Red= Cherry red = 1958. Rob had observations on my melting paint (shouldn't happen, even with the filth we are obliged to burn sploshed on it) I have now received the bike with messy tank and resolved to strip and refinish properly, as per Rob's suggestions in two pack ( with or without a lacquer). Im now listing the bits I need to bring the new baby up to scratch while the tank's off.It has a Kirby Rowbotham conversion on its K2F.No dope on this gadget with the bike, so any experience out there ?
Cheers,
Brian