Specks on a 1957 Matchless

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Gerald Sauder.

Post by Gerald Sauder. »

I have a 1957 Matchless and would like to know more about it. When was it manufactured, what is the engine size and can I get parts for it? Parts like handle bars, fuel tank, headlight and front fender. The only number I could find was on the engine - 57G1103226. Are there numbers anywhere else? Thanks for any help.
silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

You are right with the 1957 date and the model is a G11 which is a 600cc twin.

The frame number will be on the frame lug on the rhs just under the saddle and will be stamped into the metal.

Parts are relatively available. Put a wanted ad on this site or contact Richard Gaunt who advertises in the Jampot.

Les Smith
Keep smiling
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

As an addition to the reply from Les, the lug under the seat also carries a forging number (raised) generally of the form M12 xxxxxx. The frame number will be similar to Axxxxx.

RogerNorman

Post by RogerNorman »

A word of caution. Once you have found the frame number can I suggest you contact the Club's Machine Dating Officer - Mrs Pat Hughes (See the contact page). The engine may well be a G11 (as a former holder of this post myself I can tell you that it is in fact a December '56 engine) but check with Pat that it is still in its original frame or indeed that the frame (which is the important bit) is infact a Matchless and not off an AJS. Sadly over the years there have been many unwary people caught out by the antics of others years before. The frame parts generally are the same but it would be sad to think if contemplating a full rebuild that you built a Matchless to find it was in fact an AJS!