1958 model 30 magneto

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Groily

1958 model 30 magneto

Post by Groily »

Been waiting for those pics with bated breath since hearing you'd got an ATD in there .. . lo and behold, you have! Never seen one there before. Mesh doesn't look bad, wonder what the gear came from?
Could it be a standard one machined to take the ATD I wonder? I machined a plain alloy pinion to take an ATD on a BSA although I've never used it (yet) as I prefer the thing with a manual cam ring. However, if one is pure about things, an ATD is superior to a manual cam ring as it ensures the spark always occurs at the optimal position of armature to magnets, blah blah whereas a manual lever asks the mag to spark at increasingly sub-optimal positions as you retard it. I assumed AMC didn't offer it because there was a lack of space behind the timing cover. Or because the 'sporting rider' liked lots of levers to play with. But clearly not so.
At least the pinion isn't in tooth-stripping fibre, as on so many machines from B to V if not A to Z. If it works - and why not? - I'd keep it. Saves having to change the end housing and bearing and cam ring etc etc on the mag, and saves a lever at the bars. Hope the auto-extract still works though - they're awful things, with left hand proud threads that soon wear away in the centre screw and leave you needing pullers you haven't got!
wilko

1958 model 30 magneto

Post by wilko »

Hi tolly, I don't want to take my nice oiltight cover off for foto's but the fix involves turning up two aluminium end covers the same diameter as the pumps about 1/8" thick with matching screw holes and countersunk for the heads of the screws and maybe relieved slightly inside to clear the driven spindles. Then cut some thin gaskets and bobs yer uncle.Some people will say "but what about the inside of the pump" it doesn't seem to matter.
Don Madden

1958 model 30 magneto

Post by Don Madden »

I think the gear may have been an intermediate idler. Note the single punch mark at one tooth.
Cheers, Don.