G11 AMC Clutch adjustment

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Barry Davies.

Post by Barry Davies. »

I am having problems adjusting the clutch, and the manual is quite vague. The friction plates look worn to me, so I am going to replace these and the springs. How far in are the spring adjusting nuts turned.The cable and pushrod are new, although in order for the clutch to work, the cable adjuster is only just threaded into the gearbox, which does not seem right, and after 10 miles or so the clutch starts to slip. Any advice on setting up would be well appreciated.
hamishcw

Post by hamishcw »

When I had this problem it was because the clutch had been made up with the wrong number of plates for the body. This might be the case if someone else has had a go at yours because of the wear.
There have also been different thicknesses of plate available in the past.
I suggest checking it all out against a working one.
Vincent Golding.

Post by Vincent Golding. »

I've got the same problem, on the same model! At the moment I haven't got to the bottom of it, but if I make any progress I'll let you know (and would greatly appreciate it if you would reply if you find anything).

I will go and count the number of plates and let you know what I've got.

You wouldn't happen to know where to get hold of trichloroethylene or fuller's earth (I can only find cat litter.. which I'm reluctant to use)?

Vincent Golding.
Vincent Golding.

Post by Vincent Golding. »

Barry, I've just fixed mine. If you've got 5 steel and 5 friction plates, then take one of each off leaving 4 of each. Then follow the set up instructions in the manual and you should end up pucker clutch. Let me know if you learn anything interesting.

Vincent Golding.

matchlessman

Post by matchlessman »

I'm running original cork inserts (bit tired now) and its superb. Took a long while to set up tho. Screw springs in about an equal amount, until the resistance feels right, you don't need to do them too tight, make sure they don't get coil bound on full lift. Then ensure EVEN lift. adjust each screw until the plate pulls off square - it takes ages but its worth it. Ensure cable is VERY slack. tighten clutch centre adjuster till you feel resistance, back off half a turn, make sure cable is still slack. then adjust cable to get 1/8 to 1/4 inch freeplay at handlebar. Give it a long time to all bed in, I made the mistake of messing about with it every time it didn't quite feel right - (on the Isle of Man), and it just got worse. Take the time in the workshop.