Petrol tanks

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
lolski

Petrol tanks

Post by lolski »

Hello
I have a 1954 G3LS and i would like to get a spare tank to paint to correct colouring so i can still keep riding my bike question is i have seen tanks for sale which say eg g12 or g11 etc they look much the same shape etc could i use any of these models if not what would be compatable any suggestions and advice much appreciated thank you.

Laurence
Biscuit
Deceased

Petrol tanks

Post by Biscuit »

My G11 tank is larger than the G3, although the mountings are the same eg. pitch of holes etc. I should imagine most tanks would fit, although beware of later models with different fixings.

lolski

Petrol tanks

Post by lolski »

thanks biscuit for that very prompt advice i will keep that in mind about later models.

regards Laurence
wilko

Petrol tanks

Post by wilko »

i have been caught out on this one before. even though at first sight the mounting points look the same i've found the mounting holes can be half a hole out of position.it's always amazed me what on earth they were thinking of at the factory to change the dimensions. but sometimes i think it's just that the tank has spread at the bottom. so if you do get one that does this, try flexing the bottom of the tank inwards to see if you can get them to line up. any thoughts on that one people? douglas
Circlip

Petrol tanks

Post by Circlip »

Half a hole? Couldnt you file out your hole a bit. But I think your explanation is feasable if the tank was made as a part and not as a fitted item then welding could and probably would distort the tank by the amount you say.

I heard a similar story about car wings during manufacture. If the wing didnt fit first time bang on, it was put aside as a sellable part.
lolski

Petrol tanks

Post by lolski »

thanks wilko and circlip for your valid inputs i will make note of things to look out for when buying a tank

regards Laurence
Biscuit
Deceased

Petrol tanks

Post by Biscuit »

Both tanks I referred to have holes of 15 7/8" and 5 1/4" pitch.

I have doubts however whether the clearance under the twin tank would be sufficient for the single head/rocker box.

itma

Petrol tanks

Post by itma »

couple of cheap ones on ebay right now
lolski

Petrol tanks

Post by lolski »

thanks itma i will take a look