Matchless G11 1958. Grease from Rear Wheel.

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

My G11 has done about 800 miles since rebuild of which 300 has been done in recent weeks, but following a trip of about 40 miles today I noticed a considerable amount of grease on the O/S of the rear hub outer cover and tyre. The grease must be coming either from the speedo gearbox or the rear wheel bearing. has anyone experienced anything similar or any ideas.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Have a look at this link to an entry within Tech.Articles. (https://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=406) It details the precise assembly sequence for the offside parts of the rear hub an area where some assembly diagrams often show things the wrong way round sometimes resulting in your symptons or even worse check it out.Or it could just be that you pumped too much grease into the hub and the ongoing use with perhaps a little heat from the back brake has caused it to leak out.Edited by - Eric on 21 Aug 2007 4:36:06 PM
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Another thing is that the gun used to grease the hub did not fit the fittings spewing grease everywhere but where needed.

We use a different fitting in the US & the Japanese yet another. Don't know about the Continent.

When greasing the parts, I replace the original with metric Zerk fittings which work with the grease guns here in the US. There are metric fittings that are an exact fit in the theaded holes in Brit bikes.

When done, I put the correct fittings where they show, but not in the wheel hubs.

Cheers, Don.