Engine crankshaft

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
mshaw

Engine crankshaft

Post by mshaw »

Hi I have a 1958 AJS Springtwin 30 can a alternator crankshaft be fitted to this engine

regards mike
g5wqian

Re: Engine crankshaft

Post by g5wqian »

yes , i have one in my 56 model 30 with a tin chaincase .

mine has a 24 tooth crank sprocket and uses a spacer that fits between it and the locking nut [breather] in order to fill in the gap where the alternator stator was and also fits inside the tin chaincase front .

what you can do is to get an old stator and cannibalise it so you end up with only the hexagon shaped steel centre piece which has the key way slot in , which is then used for the correct spacer for the crank snout ..
i turned mine down on a lathe but once you get the cuts so far down into the magnets etc it will start breaking up and falling apart , so need to take care in order to end up with a non damaged centre boss out of it .

youll need the alternator crank style breather nut for crank and also lock washer etc .

of course if you have an alloy chaincase which takes an alternator you could have 2 options open to you by means of either using a whole alternator or just using a blank stator on the crank .