clutch cable [burman box ]

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
g5wqian

clutch cable [burman box ]

Post by g5wqian »

hi all ,
although i have repaired my clutch cable [lever nipple snapped off ] i was trying to replace it with a new cable i have [doherty 703 ] but it seems the doherty 44" cable is too short and doesnt reach from the burman gearbox to the handlebar without being tight on turning the handlebars etc , in fact the 703 is way too short really . .

the cable i have had in use on my bike is approx 59 1/2" total length and this fits just nicely routed under the petrol tank and round the steering yoke , i only have short bend style handlebars also .

after looking through club spares and various other suppliers i cant seem to find good info relating to ajs matchless cable parts and the club spares doesnt list the lengths of the cables sold so i took to looking farther afield .

seems that a norton cable is a better option , a nm19828 [C564] for ES2 and dominator etc is the right length to match what i have on my AJS twin .

i suppose most of the bikes from AMC used similar cables if they used burman amc etc gearboxes .

does anyone know which ajs matchless part number relates to the longer clutch cable of around 59" long at all or is the cable that was on my bike not the normal length in the first place , although saying that the 59" cable i have fits just right and is not tight on any turn or routing .

obviously i seem to have a suitable easy to obtain option in the norton cable and it seems they are cheaper than the AJS types , so perhaps the solution is already sorted , but i still wonder which cable of AJS/MATCHLESS stables is the one thats supposed to be used .

the spares manual shows a 44 1/2" assembly as the replacement part but this seems way too short for fitting my 56 model 30 and the cable i have on there which does fit is well over a foot longer and also seems of heavier guage cable than the 703 i have tried to line up and fit unsuccessfully ..

i am at least happy in one respect at how simple it is to replace the clutch cable , so long as its only the handlebar end that the nipple snaps off at .

cheers

ian
Rob Harknett

Re: clutch cable [burman box ]

Post by Rob Harknett »

Have you tried coming from under the tank exiting on the left, then straight to the clutch lever. Instead of going all round the yoke.