tank painting

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
raljan

tank painting

Post by raljan »

I posted a query on tank painting on 18 sept, thanks for the replies for my 56 jampot g11. I noticed that some 56 g11 however in the photo gallery did not just have a panel painted on the tank top but all of the top and some of the tank sides? Anyway I have tried to mask the top panel shape on the tank like the spares club drawing but masking tape will not go round the panel curves without crinkling and the same problem with the silver plastic lining tape, afirm priced for painting and lining the panel for £280 ,hence the diy any advice on these matters
Biscuit
Deceased

tank painting

Post by Biscuit »

The G9 had a painted panel on the side of the tank, the G11 did not.
I have seen masking tape that will go around quite sharp bends, (crepe in the description comes to mind, might be wrong though)probably obtainable from motor shops rather than DIY stores, a decent auto paint shop would most certainly have it. Alternatively, buy the narrowest tape you can, I have seen 1/4", and this should negotiate bends easily, build up along side it with strips of overlapping, wider tape.

RogerNorman

tank painting

Post by RogerNorman »

From memory I think I have seen somewhere that the tape you need is obtainable from artists shops but I'm not sure if its masking tape or something special. I'm sure they would know if you made an enquiry
laxy

tank painting

Post by laxy »

Ive used the tape Allen describes but I thought it was all right!!
Several years ago from a trade stand at the stafford show Ibought a magnetic strip about two foot long that was flexable and the idea was to attach this strip to the side of your tank and shape it to the required curve.you then simply paint your pinstripe by hand using the magnetic strip as a ruler.I think you are supposed to use this little device in conjunction with one of those metalic pens that you fill with paint that is then applied to the workpiece by means of a little wheel. It looks like one of those pastry cutter things.
Has anyone used one of these?
Was it succesful sucsesfull sucssess Did it work?

Biscuit
Deceased

tank painting

Post by Biscuit »

You have lost ALAN now Keith, was the tape alright or wasn't it?

laxy

tank painting

Post by laxy »

crepe crap geddit?
who said the old jokes are the best?
paul knapp

tank painting

Post by paul knapp »

Ralph, try warming the tank and plastic tape before you attempt to do the curves, if you get any little creases try using hair dryer and finger to smooth them down. Crepe masking tape may allow "wicking" around edge. Use the tape custom auto spray shops use, with the little bit you want, surely they would give you a roll end.
Keith, a mate has used the "pastry cutter", to do the lines on his tank, took a bit of practice and experimenting with paint thinning, but worked out OK. He had to make a guide up to run it against.
Cheers Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Biscuit
Deceased

tank painting

Post by Biscuit »

Advancing years, Keith.

raljan

tank painting

Post by raljan »

quote:
I posted a query on tank painting on 18 sept, thanks for the replies for my 56 jampot g11. I noticed that some 56 g11 however in the photo gallery did not just have a panel painted on the tank top but all of the top and some of the tank sides? Anyway I have tried to mask the top panel shape on the tank like the spares club drawing but masking tape will not go round the panel curves without crinkling and the same problem with the silver plastic lining tape, afirm priced for painting and lining the panel for £280 ,hence the diy any advice on these matters
raljan

tank painting

Post by raljan »

Thanks for all the help ,sorry about repeating the message, computer operator glitch, still a bit confused about the paint on the 56 G11s in the photo gallery which seem to have more than a painted panel on top of the tank unless I am missing the point, thanks again everyone
R