G11 tank painting

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
raljan

G11 tank painting

Post by raljan »

I have a 1956 G11 [jampot, tin chaincase], I have seen some machines with the chrome ovals left on the sides of the tank and others with a painted panel on the top of the tank and small panels on each side around the badges. I believe that the colour should be red but I do not know which shade. I assume that there is lining around the panel(s) of either silver or gold. I have bought the tank drawing from the club spares but am still unsure. Advice would be appreciated

Biscuit
Deceased

G11 tank painting

Post by Biscuit »

The '56 G11 had completely chrome tank sides, with paint on top, plus '600 cc. Super Clubman' transfer, the paint edged with a silver line. The G9 had a painted panel around the badge. The nearest match I have found is Ford Laquer red, although this is open to debate. If you do a search with Google, there is a company who claim to match any motorcycle colour from the year dot.

raljan

G11 tank painting

Post by raljan »

Thanks very much for the help and fast reply
R

itma

G11 tank painting

Post by itma »

give us a clue Alan, all I can find are in US
Biscuit
Deceased

G11 tank painting

Post by Biscuit »

Looks like we need a masterclass in 'Googling'. Type in 'motorcycle paint UK', and at the top of the list appears - www.motorbikepaint.co.uk. Always type in the 'UK' at the end. This, would you believe works for those haplessly akling about manuals, maintenance problems, Imperial spanners, the list goes on.

Looks as though the link doesn't work, so you will have to type it in!

itma

G11 tank painting

Post by itma »

Ta.

oh yes I found that one, great a web site that, tells you to phone, good use of technology that,.
Colin F

G11 tank painting

Post by Colin F »

I have always understood that there were no "standard" colour codes when these bikes were built. The paint was mixed until it "looked right".
You could get a slight variation in colour between batches and years.
There is also the factor that there will be a certain amount of colour fading over the years.

Find a shade that you are happy with and go with that. Who is there to say wether it is right or wrong?

Me, I got fed up with the black G3 so mine is now a nice bright red, I like it.[8D][8D]
lawrence

G11 tank painting

Post by lawrence »

Tscch! These people who aren't concerned that their bike is the exact colour. A disgrace! [:)]

Lawrence [}:)]
Tolly

G11 tank painting

Post by Tolly »

I have a '57 G11 Lawrence and it's very original, paint work wise, but I have a feeling the petrol tank may have been changed, it is all black with no side panels. I really don't know if this is correct [:I] but its nice to keep in this (oily rag) condition. [8D]

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
itma

G11 tank painting

Post by itma »

Originality fanatic goes to great extremes to find exact colour match, [8D]then paints it in two-pack or epoxy.[:0]
Spot the non sequitur[B)]