My First Classic Bike

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Tenshi

My First Classic Bike

Post by Tenshi »

Ok I'll try again...The centre bearing plate is too wide to fit between the flywheels of the crankshaft that came with the 1956 G11 basket case that I have just purchased as my first classic bike. Can anyone help with model identification as I thought that every thing that came with the bike was for a G11. Obviously not.The restoration book I have says cranks changed a lot but does not give any specs and the spare parts lists do not help either. The centre bearing plate has the #'s 013776 cast into it and the crank has m18 stamped into the flywheels where you stamp in the regrind sizes and also has the letters F stamped into the l/h side flywheel and A on the r/h side next to the main bearing location. If someone can help I promise I won't mention the cricket scores

Biscuit
Deceased

My First Classic Bike

Post by Biscuit »

Haven't got the manual have you Mark?. Must be number one on your (what is going to be) extensive shopping list. I quote from said manual -'Matchless engines after No. 5966 were fitted with a modified crankshaft, with increased rotating weight, thus necessitating a narrower centre bearing'.

The numbers stamped on castings and forgings are never the part numbers given in spares lists.

Tenshi

My First Classic Bike

Post by Tenshi »

Thanks Alan... I was beginning to think my plea for help was going to go unanswered. Have only just received my manual and will spend more time studying it now that you have pointed out the importance of doing so.Thanks again