Twin "Competition" magneto

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
minajs

Post by minajs »

A question previously put on the forum, but here it comes on the "help" page also:
My 1958 AJS Model 30 is fitted with a Lucas K2Fc "Competition" magneto, instead of the standard K2F amag. Can anybody tell me what a "competition" mag is ? Competition magnetos are not even mentioned in Roy Bacon's book.
Also, my manual tells me to set the timing to 3/8" before TDC with the standard magneto. Now I wonder if a "competition" mag will need a different setting? Thanks, regards Michael.

itma

Post by itma »

I believe it was something to do with the quality of the windings, and of the standard of build, much better sparks through out the range, and more "waterproof"; screw on end caps etc, no need to alter anything on the settings unless your engine is itself a bit more than standard.
Just be happy you`ve got one.[:)]
people do tend to get un-necessarily excited about bits marked "competition"
In my dissolute youth I would blot on anything I could get hold of that proclaimed itself "comp". never made it go any faster, if it went at all.
I once rode about on an old thunderbird fitted with a 7R fuel tank, looked fantastic, fell over when filled with fuel, all comp., no go!![B)]