Crankshaft oil mister

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Gary Wylie.

Crankshaft oil mister

Post by Gary Wylie. »

I have a 56 G11 Matchless. I am having trouble with the crankshaft oil mister that lubricates the primary chain drive. It seems to be misting too much oil. Can I plug it up, will a new one fix the problem or is there some other method of fixing this? If anyone has had a similar problem and found a solution I would be happy to hear from you.

Gary.

Eric

Crankshaft oil mister

Post by Eric »

Gary what you think maybe a mister is really a breather and it is not supposed to lubricate the primary chain. The primary chaincase should have oil just about up to the lowest edge of the chain so that it just occasionally dips into it. This oil is supposed to be put into the chain case via the inspection hole. If you are getting more oil than this the breather maybe faulty, or the oil is draining down from the oil tank until the crankcase level overflows into the primary chaincase, or there is too much crankcase pressure because of worn piston rings or other problems. You need to let us know when the problem of too much oil seems to occur.

Gary Wylie.

Crankshaft oil mister

Post by Gary Wylie. »

Thanks for the reply Eric. What I thought was a simple problem seems to be more complicated. I recall now you mention it that the chaincase does indeed have oil in it. My problem occurs once I have ridden the bike. Oil leaks from the seal at the top of the chaincase, only just started here, and a fair amount from underneath the bike around the stand region. I've tried checking for leaks underneath but can't see any obvious leaks. I think the return oil pump is working properly, seems to be pumping o.k. when the bike is running. As for the rings I can't be sure. It blows a little smoke when first started but this stops after a minute or two. I take it the breather can leak oil into the chaincase. I was told it was a breather to lubricate the chain. I take it that's not it's job. Is it merely a pressure release valve? Can I block it off or would I be better of just replacing it?

Gary

Eric

Crankshaft oil mister

Post by Eric »

Its job is to release any excess pressure from the crankcase. If you block it off I guess you may get lots of oil leaks from the crankcase because of excess pressure. It easy to replace so why not try fitting a new one and see what happens.