rocker spindle washers

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
clive

Re: rocker spindle washers

Post by clive »

The saga continues. After pressure to check things out from fellow West London section members I established that crank at the big ends was showing signs of ovality outside acceptable limits and the crank at the centre web had a noticeable ridge in it you could feel with your nail. Off to T and L engineering in Bedford who clearly seem to know what they are doing, much more reassuring than the local engineering workshop when I had a single barrel rebored. Then it was checking the outer bearing race, one side had marks which suggested it had rusted whilst damp during the years of awaiting a rebuild. The other side showed signs of wear so an order for a pair of replacements from the Club Spares scheme at 11am was delivered the next day. Pity I was not in to receive them, still the Post Delivery Office is closer than my garage so I can collect tomorrow.
This was an expensive week as I also broke a tooth on a sandwich, the second since Xmas, I will have to stick to a liquid diet :beer:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

2 sandwiches in a month! Are you on some special diet?
Sam
clive

Post by clive »

:rofl:
clive
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Saw Clive going walk-about at Kempton yesterday complete with wide brimmed hat to keep the heat of the sun off.
clive

Post by clive »

sorry Mike missed you
clive
clive

Post by clive »

Curtesy of another West London member the crankcase is now adapted to accept the 1960 on oil pressure relief valve, crankshaft reground by T and L and new shells purchased. So it seemed a simple task to start the rebuild except that the conrods fit well but the centre main seemed a little tight. Then when I bolted up the crankcase it is tight to the point that the only way it will rotate is using a spanner on the drive shaft, cannot be turned by hand. any suggestions?
clive
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

if the centre bearing is tight when bolted together , but not fitted to crankcase then I suggest you change the centre web. it may have been over tightened in the past . it must be free to rotate when oiled and bolted up.
next check it should still be free to turn when bolted in one half of the crankcase .
if both these checks are ok and only goes tight when the crankcase is bolted together, try slackening off the fixing nuts very slightly . trial assembly it will self centre.
finally disassemble and tighten bolts .