6v battery connections

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Various

Re: 6v battery connections

Post by Various »

Thank you for the information. I think I do have the parts list and manual but I clearly need to read some more and will rummage around the archives to make sure I'm looking at the right documents.

I'll get the gearbox oil changed when I've managed to undo the bolt, but at least I won't be undoing the wrong bolt.

The good news is that the battery charged just fine, went back on with black to positive and the bike started brilliantly and showed a slight charge.

I managed my first ever 30 or so miles on the bike today and I even rode a few miles with the lights on and no obvious ill-effect other than numb fingers from the cold (and a dirty bike). I'm happier and more confident now that the engine has been warmed up and used a bit. Also the horn started working again, the speedo needle settled down to be surprisingly accurate and the rear brake is getting better.

Does the ammeter (correct term?) needle always bounce around?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Does the ammeter (correct term?) needle always bounce around?
They (almost) all do that sir.
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Don't be confused by colours, the standard diagram for these bikes was +ve earth and the earth wires are BLACK.

If you have a solid state regulator unit and connect the battery round the wrong way you WILL blow the unit.

If you have a bike that you don't know the polarity on (one of Roy's barn finds that has no battery on it!) if it has a solid state regulator disconnect it, connect battery, switch on lights, if the ammeter shows a charge the battery is wrong way round! Swap battery leads, switch on lights, ammeter should now show discharge.
Now flash the dynamo to this polarity to make sure it is correct, reconnect all wires correctly. You can now start engine and everything should work correctly.