heads

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
mollymole

heads

Post by mollymole »

After suffering a blown head gasket,I've read the technical articles on the subject.It is advised to use a silcone Gasket sealant,the only stuff I can find says Do Not Use on head gaskets.Who makes it and where can I obtain such silicone ??Any advice would be appricated.
bjork

Re: heads

Post by bjork »

Best not to use jointing compound on the head gaskets, but if you feel you must then just smear a VERY small amount round the pushrod holes and even less near the oil drillings!
If you've been searching already you'll see there is a lot of older posts about head gaskets for twins. My personal view is dry gaskets, clean joint faces that are in good flat condition, torqued down carefully in stages to the correct torque for the stud sizes.
Oh yes, 'Wellseal' is the sort of stuff you want rather than silicone as it is less likely to cause blockages if you overdo it! Other anaerobic substances are available and very good, Loctite do a range of them.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Solid copper head gasket are available which cured the problem on a Model 20 for me.

Ian

P.S. It looks like I can still post!
mollymole

Post by mollymole »

Hi, I have gone for a very thin smear of Loctite 5920.just going to put 25 mls on it and then torque again.Keeping my fingers crossed.
paul