1958 G11 - Front Brake Judder

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
starfield181

1958 G11 - Front Brake Judder

Post by starfield181 »

Sorry about the delay in responding, been a bit busy and the Matchless was regrettably not a priority.

I took it for a ride today and the front brake no longer judders which was a relief. Quite which of the things I did when I removed the wheel was the cure I am not sure, possibly a combination of things. Anyway bike now much nicer to ride and should be getting its first long run next Sunday.

Peter
Various

Re: 1958 G11 - Front Brake Judder

Post by Various »

I've got the judders now!

The query I have is that after I clean the shoes and drum and put it all back together it's fine for a few miles, then the judder gets worse. To my mind this makes it unlikely that the trueness of the drum is the problem? But there is a very small amount of run-out in the drum, so it's not impossible that this is the cause. I rode about 100miles this weekend and the grabbing went from barely noticeable to 'quite worrying', especially after going down a steep winding road using the brake quite firmly. Now the shoes look dull but with glossy deposits in random places - is this normal? I can imagine these areas 'picking-up' and grabbing, but I don't really know what I'm talking about or what may cause it.

One thing I have noticed is that when I pull the brake to a halt holding firm pressure on the lever, if I roll backwards (as I do, into the driveway), the lever comes back a lot further - is this a sign of something wrong? I think I centralised the shoes properly.

Any further advice before I get my wallet out and have the drum skimmed would be very much appreciated. Incidentally, the shoes look hardly worn and are chamfered at both ends.

Post by 1608 »

Could it be that the fulcrum and corresponding wear pad on the end of the shoes are worn, ie groove in the pad and worn down fulcrum. This might account for the lever re-positioning when the wheel direction is revered. The judder can become exagerated if there is wear in the fork bushes.
Various

Post by Various »

Sorry for not replying sooner and thanks for the advice.

I have now tried everything this side of spending money and have to admit that having the drum skimmed seems to be the way to go. Can anybody recommend somewhere near Nottingham to do the work?