G9 1960 oil pressure relief valve

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
john kitchen

Post by john kitchen »

I suspect that my oil pressure relief valve is incomplete?
I have an alloy piston which is driven by the end of the exhaust camshaft and a large threaded barrel with a hexagon head that threads into the crank case.
Please can someone tell me what should be between them or better still give me the part number so as I may order one.

thanks
John. [8D]
bjork

Post by bjork »

What you're describing sounds to me like the oil distributor that is driven round by the cam. I don't think there is any thing else to go in there. I will check the engine on the bench in the morning, and a workshop manual. I don't recall which years, but the pressure relief valve is either in the timing cover or in a chrome Hex head fitting about 1/2" Whit or so into the same side of the crankcase as the distributor you're looking at.Have you got a book on it? the club does one that tells you all the varying oil system details. And they do vary a lot!

Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
john kitchen

Post by john kitchen »

Steve,
I`m sure you are right I must be looking at the oil distributor.
The other hex head fitting has a tubular gauze filter, do you remove this to get to the relief valve?
Eric

Post by Eric »

John the oil pressure relief valve on your engine is located at the far end of the filter tunnel from where you screw in the filter. Should you want to remove it for inspection you access it from inside the timing gear cover where it is retained by a circlip, removal of this allows the valve to be removed back through the tunnel at least thats how I remeber it from the last time I looked. You have been looking at the oil distributor at the end of the exhaust camshaft that is adjacent to the filter tunnel. All that should be there is the aluminium piston you have seen, but importantly the large threaded barrel with hexagon head you describe should have a copper washer between its mating face and the crankcase. Without this there is a risk that the oil distributor bush will run tight against the end of the barrel. The valve on the end of the gauze oil filter is the non-return vave and if you have the correct one for your year you cannot disassemble it. Hope this helps.

bjork

Post by bjork »

Just checked as promised,and Eric's beaten me to it! Agree with his reply so I'm only here to boost my postings score now.

Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
john kitchen

Post by john kitchen »

Steve/Eric
thanks for the expert advice, it all makes sense now.

John
Eric

Post by Eric »

John/Steve
I had forgotten about the ratings but my first reply to John about the valve problem got me promoted to TEEN with 50 posts so I am just trying to make up the numbers now.

Eric