G9 Main Stand

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
john kitchen

G9 Main Stand

Post by john kitchen »

The main stand of my G9 seem to have far to much forward travel leaving the back wheel in contact with the ground.
The bike is completly striped at the moment and I cannot see what the problem is.
Has anyone had a similar problem?

thanks
John
bjork

G9 Main Stand

Post by bjork »

John,I've tackled this problem on a few amc stands.the stops wear at the contact point,they clout a round stop lug on the frame.If you look closely at the top of the stand legs you can see the dents worn there.build them up with weld and grind back to shape.you may need to add up to an1/8 of an inch of weld or so.I also took the opportunity to add a 90deg tube to the left side to enable the stand to be found easily with the foot,and lever the bike up.works atreat and doesn't look out of place either.hope this helps.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
john kitchen

G9 Main Stand

Post by john kitchen »

Hi Steve,
I looked at the top of the stand and saw the wear you mentioned, I will give it a go with the welder.

thanks

JK
bjork

G9 Main Stand

Post by bjork »

further to the stand repairs,they never did lift the bike very high anyway.thats why when you look at the scramber types they have an extra 1" of bar welded to the feet of the stands.that way nobbly tyres cleared the ground.if you build up the stops on your stand but still want more lift,add a plate to the feet,it makes quiet a difference.did you sort out the valve/piston disagreement?
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Biscuit
Deceased

G9 Main Stand

Post by Biscuit »

Regarding the extension for the stand, I wrote about this, with dimensions, in 'Help' 30th. Jan. 2002 in answer to 'Getting the bike onto the centre stand'

john kitchen

G9 Main Stand

Post by john kitchen »

Steve,
I think I may plate the feet as well.
The piston situation is hopefully resolved by fitting the correct pistons!
Thanks to John at Thorntons of Shrewsbury who is both knowledgable and helpful.

JK