G9 pinion tool

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
john kitchen

G9 pinion tool

Post by john kitchen »

John Hi,
I need to remove the pinion from the timing side of my crank, does anyone know where I might get the extractor?
If a tool is not available could someone tell me the thread and size so as I can have one made?

Thanks

Eric

G9 pinion tool

Post by Eric »

I thought it was listed among the items in the Jampot Spares list but could not find it with a quick look maybe more later on this. But it is available from Andrew Engineering who make many of the parts for the club anyway. The last number I have for them is 01942 888848 but they may have moved. They also do another to remove the timing gears from the ends of the camshafts.
Eric

G9 pinion tool

Post by Eric »

Me again if you look in the Club Spares Book section E you will find part no 015273 described as Extractor; Timing & Mag Gear All Twins I dont know about the Mag as I have coil ignition and an alternator but I think this is what you want but check. It takes the form of a bush threaded outside to screw into the gear and tapped inside to take the set pin that you screw in to pull the gear off.
wilhelm

G9 pinion tool

Post by wilhelm »

Temporary solution:
Cap in crankcase housing for inlet camshaft (011648) and some washers.
MikeM.

G9 pinion tool

Post by MikeM. »

The part number Eric gave is the same as the one in the original parts list ,so therefore thats the one you need John.

MikeM.
john kitchen

G9 pinion tool

Post by john kitchen »

Thanks for all the help guy`s, job done.

regards

john