Advance / Retard / headlight switch knob

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Chris B_LAPSED

Advance / Retard / headlight switch knob

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

20210205_153950.jpg
Hi All so got the bike running lovely. Had a little ride out today and can someone just confirm the advance/retard position on the lever. Iv attached a picture and can someone confirm that the position in the picture is Advance. Only reason I ask is when I move the lever to what I think is more retard the bike runs much more quicker on acceleration (pulling opposite to whats in the picture) I always though once warm and running it should befully advance... Have I got this wrong :headbang:

Also the headlight switch knob has vibrated off the bike today so any ideas on the best place to get a replacement knob only.

Many thanks Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groily

Re: Advance / Retard / headlight switch knob

Post by Groily »

Full advance is with the cable slack. You have got what looks like a right-hand lever, for going on the brake side, on the clutch side. It will work fine but if you have the other-handed lever (the air slide control) also the opposite-to-usual way round on the brake, you might want to swap 'em over! In the pic, you are at full advance.
If revs rise when you move the lever one way, you are advancing the timing. The engine note will be flatter when it is retarded, which should give another clue. And yes, out on the road, full advance is the place to be.
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

Thankyou for your quick reply. Youve confirmed what I though to be true but when out on a ride when I retard the timing she seems to pull even better I though it would run worse? Also new spark plugs are in and they've blacked up quickly? Could it be possible the wrong way round?
clive

Post by clive »

My immediate thought was on my twin and indeed on my singles I have the other hand lever on the left had side as the advance/retard i.e. the cable enters from in front not behind the handlebar. Not really relevant to your question but makes it necessary to think it through. You are asking if slack wire is advance and this will depend on which side of your K2F mag your advance cable is attached to. At the front of the mag slack wire will be advance, if its attached to the rear of the mag tight wire will be advance. (Bet I have got that wrong!) If the engine runs with better acceleration then you are almost certainly advancing it, assuming the timing is correct.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

Thanks Clive

I'm going to investigate further tommorow and also check the points gap. Pretty sure its OK. But yeah today I though the bikes running lovely in what I though is fully advanced and curiosity got the better of me so though I would retard it and to my surprise the bike pulled even more strongly. Ill check which way round its connected on the mag. I wouldnt have even though to check that so thanks again.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Advance / retard on left side , fully advanced lever pushed fully forward cable should be slightly slack, pull back around halfway starting from cold , air / choke lever on right hand side pushed forward to close the air / choke ,and pulled right back when running normal
Opposite to each other, seems a little confusing but as Sergei say's ( simples ) .
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

Thanks Bitza

So without sounding like a complete looney (sorry im new to the manual advance/retard stuff) your saying that in my picture the lever is in the fully retard position so basically opposite to what the manual states. I wonder why the previous owner would have change the controls around? So when I'm up and running the lever should be the complete opposite to what my picture shows i.e fully advanced.... This would answer my question to the bike running with much more punch in the opposite positions. Also how long do people leave it in retard position? Until she's fully warm?

Sorry Iv had the bike 2 weeks and still got a lot to learn... im getting there slowly
Groily

Post by Groily »

In the pic, if your cable enters the mag on the engine side as per original, and given the lever is about-face, you are at full advance with it pulled towards you - ie 'slack cable'. If for some unlikely reason you have a cable housing on the mag which has gearbox side entry, then the pic is at full retard. Pulling or pushing isn't the way to look at it in this case.
To understand fully what is happening you need to hoick the cover off the end of the mag and observe the CAMRING as it is moved by the cable. When the ring moves AGAINST the direction of rotation of the points - which turn Clockwise from that end - you are advancing the timing because the points are being opened earlier. And vice versa. It's a bit of a 'Rub your belly and tap your head' thing, but becomes obvious when you watch the parts in operation.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Make sure they're on the correct sides. Follow the cable from the left hand lever, I bet it leads to the carb, not the magneto (as it should). So you're riding around with the choke full on. That's why the plugs are black.
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Chris

The easiest way to sort this out is to post a photo of your magneto showing where the advance / retard cable enters it.

A photo of your RH, (brake), control lever would also be helpful.

Regards Mick