G9 Running poor help for newbie

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Mick D

Re: G9 Running poor help for newbie

Post by Mick D »

Hi

What type of carb is it? There should be some letters and numbers stamped into the edge of the flange.

Regards Mick
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

Hi its an amal 626. Just had it off and lots of crud in the bottom and the hole where the needle goes in was loose on the thread (sorry not sure what its called) anyway so all cleaned and tightened up and putting back together now. Looking at the ht leads they look very loose going into the coil the bracket that holds them in are not really doing a great job at holding them in... any ideas?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

That's a MkI Concentric - see here for info:

http://amalcarb.co.uk/downloadfiles/ama ... d_Tips.pdf

See how it runs now you've cleaned the carb. I'd suggest re-making the coil connections but you'll probably need some parts once you've determined what connectors you have. (your bike would not originally have had coil ignition, it would have been a magneto)

Regards Mick
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

Hi Mick sorry yes its a magneto. Its the ht lead that goes into the magneto which is loose and barely sits in there
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The HT connection at the mag is made by stripping about 1/8" of the insulation, thread a split brass washer over the conductor, spread the filaments of the conductor out and solder to the brass washer, not forgetting to put the acorn nut in place before fitting the plug cap to the other end.
HT Connection.png
It's not strictly necessary to solder the connection but I prefer to for security.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

Thanks for that mick. I'll have another look tommrow. I find its very loose when its sitting in the magneto. The holder doesn't seem to be very tight up to the cap?
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

So the bits iv done so far are clean carb. Fair bit of crud in the bottom. Iv ordered a new gasket set as the o ring on the air side has stretched.. (it doesn't come with a gasket for the joint to the air intake is that correct? Also ordered a new tiny filter gauge as my has started to get tatty... also the jet wasn't screwed in fully so the needle im guessing wasn't seated correctly inside it. See pic

Checked ht leads and one was loose where the retaining clip doesn't really hold it in tight. Anyone where i can get one as they are out of stock in the places iv seen...
took the pickup end out of the magneto and the bush on the end pinged out and you guessed it.... disappeared into thin air :headbang: ... anyway ordered 2 new pick up caps for the k2f magneto (left/right) as they were both looking tired. One ht lead had a corroded washer so ill re fit all when they arrive.

Next I investigated why the horn was spinning around fouling on the down pipe. It appears that 2 out of 4 bolts on the tank have cross threaded. Only think they are the welded in type to the tank so will I need the tank off and let someone re thread them or can it be done with the tank on. All rubber bushes are poor as well so when I can get the threads re done I'll purchase new mount
rubbers. For now iv took the heavy horn off. Can't seem to upload multiple pictures and iv had to reduce quality to get this one up :roll:
20210123_102025-min.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

chris try using "paint" to resize your photo most windows programmes will have it. make the horizontal size 500 pixels or so this makes them easier to view and does not use up so much of the club website storage. your current ones are really no help for anyone to view. here is the first one.
20210123_102025-min.jpg
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

Thanks for that Clive

I'm using my mobile phone to upload photos and the site isn't very mobile friendly I didn't realise they blew up that big. I don't have access to a pc/laptop plus its very time consuming every time I want to upload a pic and then have to edit it...I did reduce the picture file size for it to upload but wasn't aware it would be a huge pic sorry..Ill see if there is anyway of making the pic smaller via my phone. Still getting used to the site :D thanks for your help all
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

Bingo think iv sorted the large picture problem. Heres the pics again