Socket set

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Oggers

Socket set

Post by Oggers »

Quick Q please folks, as recommended - will the 1/2" with this socket set be suitable for the head bolts and the very tight hole the socket has to pass through - I assume head bolts are 1/2"!

Yves.Astein

Re: Socket set

Post by Yves.Astein »

Dont know, but I put a socket on the lathe and turned it down. You can also use a sidegrinder and an electronic drill with the socket turning in the drill and the sidegrinder to grind it down....

Hope this helps you as well

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Groily

Post by Groily »

If you have 5/16th studs, the one you'd be using is the 3rd smallest, which is 1/4 whitworth or 5/16 BSF (or BSC). I think it will probably go down the 'ole - but I know for sure the King Dick equivalent will, as it's what I use.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

How big is the hole? I can measure the OD of the socket if needs. Is the head more recessed than normal?

Regards Mick

Post by 1608 »

For what its worth it helps also to replace the nuts for longer ones the club supplied me with. Theres more thread and the socket has more purchase and the socket needn't go as deeply into the head.
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Thanks gents - I'll revert with (head) hole size presently. I meant the head nuts not the studs. Head gasket weeping slightly. As aforementioned, bike is newly rebuilt and the PO did warn me the head may need nipping up a wee bit after a good run in.

Incidentally, I think (pray more like) the dreaded dynamo seal has abated a little, but I'm still getting a drip from the lower part of the frame below the dynamo. Anything else it could be - apart from badly assembled crankcase halves?....Chaincase is a separate issue...
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Smallest hole is 19.05mm. Appreciate studs may be 5/16 but what I am after is the socket size needed for the nuts - which appear to be more than 1/2"....9/16 perhaps? AMC parts have this

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=22731

Box spanner of suitable size - as per part 015213 - may also suffice, but cannot find one - well not one cheap enough - so what size do I need for the head nuts?
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Nope - rubbish. Confusing myself here. Box spanner of 1/4 WW or 5/16 BSF seems to be required ie 13.34 metric. Socket will get to rear not the front - unless with extension bar....
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

I bought in 2012 at Kelso campsite the socket sold by AMOC PARTS (12 sides).
But to torque the nuts to the suitable torque, I prefer to use a 13 mm box spanner (it fits perfectly), and a torque wrench with a suitable socket on the other end.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Oggers wrote:Smallest hole is 19.05mm
Hi

The 1/4" Whit socket in the set I linked earlier has an OD of 17.79mm

If you prefer a box spanner, I've used these folks before and was very pleased:

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Mel ... -1-4-X-4In

Regards Mick