Chaincase drip

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Oggers

Chaincase drip

Post by Oggers »

Gents

Been reading much on the chaincase. Followed all instructions and used the club improved seal. For sure it is better, but still a small drip at the low point near the footpeg. Poking my finger though the inspection hole, there is plenty of "vee" of the seal poking through, but admittedly the metal band does look very slighly bent out of the line of the chaincase at this point. I have of course tightend up the screw - pretty much as far as it will go - and gave light taps all round the metal band when doing so.

Tips most welcome as always......
ajscomboman

Re: Chaincase drip

Post by ajscomboman »

My tip, wipe it down once a week and accept it. Mine weep but don't drip, it's not the seal but I do get mist and some splash from gearbox and dynamo holes. It then collects in exactly the same place as yours just by the foot peg.
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

A weep is perfectly acceptable, but I do have a wee bit more than that. I can see a samll amount of oil gathering at the low point of the chaincase. It may indeed not be the chaincase seal - but I think one precaution may be to straighten out the metal band, maybe even bend it very slightly upwards at the low point? and refit.

Not ridden the bike just yet, but with the engine running and hot with the 20/50 in and the oil tank filter removed, first signs seem encouraging. There does seem to be a greater flow of oil back into the tank, which I assume would keep the oil level in the timing case down, and hopefully keep the dreaded dynamo seal leak at bay.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I have the same, as long as it doesn't leave a calling mark on the floor I tend to just accept it. If however they deposit then I get looking.