Re: 55 G9 update - PCC etc.

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Chaps

Bike has now notched up nearly 300 miles after purchase. You may recall I was told it had a full rebuild, so I am taking it easy, but I did obtain a heady 50 mph at one point today...A few Qs if I may...

Wet sumping now understood and I think largely cured. However - and isn't there always a however with Bristish bikes :roll: - there are still a few oil drips after a run. Nothing too serious, more annoying. One suspect is noting a film of oil apparently coming from the bolt clearance hole - with the 3/4"? nut - in the primary pressed steel chaincase. I have subsequntly fitted a cork gasket, so we shall see next time, but where is the oil coming from? the chaincase oil level was pretty much spot on - certainly about 1/4 inch below the fill hole. Is it simply splash from the chain/clutch perhaps? Alternative solutions welcome.

Bike seems to pull well enough, and I do feel is it easing up a little, but front brakes seems poor. Not really had a look just yet, but any pointers here much appreciated.

Mick - I too purchased an HJC- FG70S from J&S on Friday. A nice brown leather look - to go with the flying jacket! Think I still need goggles even with the visor down!
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

1/4" below filler hole is too much. You only need to just barely touch the very bottom of the chain. Don't forget with chain whip it'll fling oil up even if it isn't touching when stationary. Glad you're enjoying your twin.
Dave
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Oggers

Set the PCC level so that the oil just touches the chain, anything much over this has a tendency to find it's way outside.

Front brake can be 'tuned' for optimal performance but don't expect too much from it - how does it currently compare to your FH? Looking at the FH brake I would suspect that to be the better of the two.

I wear glasses so the flip down visor on the HJC is good for me but at speed things do get breezy - still it keeps the bugs at bay :)

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Oggers wrote:...... but front brakes seems poor. Not really had a look just yet, but any pointers here much appreciated.
There are a couple of pointers in this thread......

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 66#p115566
Dobbin final (450x327).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Chaps

Many thanks for this- and Spriddler for the brake info. Useful stuff
Can I assume the root cause is oil fling from the primary chain - and nothing more serious?

Mick - FH? If the 66 Bonnie, then that front brake is far superior! May see you at Crathes - but not if raining!
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Oggers wrote:
Bike seems to pull well enough, and I do feel is it easing up a little, but front brakes seems poor. Not really had a look just yet, but any pointers here much appreciated.

Mick - I too purchased an HJC- FG70S from J&S on Friday. A nice brown leather look - to go with the flying jacket! Think I still need goggles even with the visor down!
If the front brake just feels poor, rather than dreadful, it's probably working fine!

The HJC FG70S is a good helmet, and works well with my glasses. The wind can whip under the lower edge of the visor at times though, and I have occasionally had to clean squashed bugs off the inside!. A face mask helps up to a point.

Malc