1955 G9 a few more Qs!

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Oggers

1955 G9 a few more Qs!

Post by Oggers »

Gents

A few more Qs if I may - what else are you going to do on a dreich Sunday!

I removed the sump plug for a clean. Out gushed about half a pint of oil - which seemed to me to be a great deal compared with the Meriden thing. Is this normal? Topped up the tank......
Grease nipple fitting - what size are the nipples please? The ones on my gun are too large...I do like the way there are many lube and grease points though. Someone has clearly thought about these things.
Valve clearances - what is the thinking here. 6 thou appears to be the setting for both inlet/oulet, but I like to set the exhaust very slighty more.....to reduce the risk of burnt valves and blue exhausts.....

The more I poke about, the more I like the look of the bike. A sturdy beast which does also look rather well - especially the red go faster stripes on the wheels!
dave16mct

Re: 1955 G9 a few more Qs!

Post by dave16mct »

Half pint of oil in the sump is ok, depending on how long it's been left standing. It has gear pumps compaired with the Triumph's plunger pumps, so will leak down quicker. 6 thou is correct for the rockers.
Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If your headstock has greasing nipples be very sparing with the gun or you'll have filled much of the frame before the grease appears.
Also the brake hubs as there isn't a particularly effective seal there and grease can easily contaminate the brake linings.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The original grease nipples were designed to be lubed with a Tecalamit pump action gun:
Tecalemit Filling.png
They do not retain the hose fitting nor suit modern ones and I find them easier to lube using a needle adaptor.

New style nipples are available with the correct thread - I just took one of the originals to be matched at my local farm services supplier but you can also get them from AMC Classic and possibly Club Spares.

From memory the nipple on my speedo drive was not the same thread as the rest on the bike

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Gents

Many thanks - all useful stuff. To perhaps make clearer - the connector on my grease gun is too large for the small nipples - guess I could use rag as a seal - but wodered if there were any suitable connectors/adapters out there to suit modern grease guns.
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

sorry Mick - just noted your comment re needle adapters....could be a solution, mind some original Tecalamit guns on Fleabay for a similar price.....
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Mark

I have an original Tecalemit grease gun as I'm trying to build up an original tool kit but the gun is quite difficult / messy to use hence I use a needle adaptor on a standard gun.

If you're not a 'rivet counter' I'd suggest you replace any old style nipples with new types designed to fit your grease gun.

Regards Mick