Throttle cable slack

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
helloluketurner

Throttle cable slack

Post by helloluketurner »

Another daft question..

I rebuilt my Amal 376 carb which is now back on. One job led to another & I ended up replacing a few things.. fuel lines, HT lead pickups, throttle, ignition & air cable.

Despite a fuel leak from the air float chamber (gasket must've been seated wrong), everything seems fine.. bar the throttle cable..

I've kicked her over & she fires up first time but there's a good inch or two of slack in the cable. It's got the adjustable section so I've wound that right out but it hasn't helped much.

I ordered the cable from AMC & she swore it was the right one.

What's the craic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G15 Roy

Re: Throttle cable slack

Post by G15 Roy »

You say (I ordered the cable from AMC & she swore it was the right one.) but AMC who.? What code was on the box.
Roy
helloluketurner

http://www.amcclassicspares.com

http://www.amcclassicspares.com/Cables% ... Levers.pdf

It was £14.95, so I assume it was the monobloc throttle control cable with adjuster, doesn't specify a length though & I can't measure mine as it's now on the bike.

I'll ring up on Monday & enquire.

Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You only refer to the mid way adjuster being fully adjusted to take up free play. What about the adjuster that fit's in the top of the carb ? Which you should have. I assume you do have the loose split collet, if that's the name for it, at the twist grip end.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.02.17_18h55m10s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
helloluketurner

I haven't yet adjusted the top of the carb to take some of the slack up, I'll try that tomorrow.

The split collet is there yes.

cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi Luke,

If as you say there is an inch or two of slack in the cable no adjuster will take that out, I would speak to AMC Classics and if it's their fault they will replace it, I have always found them very helpful, and "she" her name is Linda by the way is very knowledgeable about all things AMC just like her son Steven.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

i think the standard cable will have an inner that is 3" longer than the outer in order to fit and require minor adjustment .
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

g5wqian wrote:i think the standard cable will have an inner that is 3" longer than the outer in order to fit and require minor adjustment .
It certainly would have. Which is why I questioned about the carb top adjuster. Which it was said had not been adjusted. So perhaps we need to start at " fitting the cable " Wind the carb top adjuster fully in, fit the cable in the carb. In the very first instant this will take up most of the 3" free play, provided the carb has all the parts, like the long spring between carb slide & top. Having done this the spring will hold the carb slide in the fully closed ( down ) position. Next fit cable in the twist grip. Adjust the free play via the carb top adjuster. Just in case this fitting procedure has not been followed. Check this has been done, also the carb slide has not stuck in the open position, so leaving a lot of free play.
helloluketurner

cbranni wrote:Hi Luke,

If as you say there is an inch or two of slack in the cable no adjuster will take that out, I would speak to AMC Classics and if it's their fault they will replace it, I have always found them very helpful, and "she" her name is Linda by the way is very knowledgeable about all things AMC just like her son Steven.

Colin
Sorry, she, the cat's mother! I'll give Linda a ring today & find out if I was posted the wrong cable. She sounds very helpful.
Rob Harknett wrote:
g5wqian wrote:i think the standard cable will have an inner that is 3" longer than the outer in order to fit and require minor adjustment .
It certainly would have. Which is why I questioned about the carb top adjuster. Which it was said had not been adjusted. So perhaps we need to start at " fitting the cable " Wind the carb top adjuster fully in, fit the cable in the carb. In the very first instant this will take up most of the 3" free play, provided the carb has all the parts, like the long spring between carb slide & top. Having done this the spring will hold the carb slide in the fully closed ( down ) position. Next fit cable in the twist grip. Adjust the free play via the carb top adjuster. Just in case this fitting procedure has not been followed. Check this has been done, also the carb slide has not stuck in the open position, so leaving a lot of free play.
I've wound both adjusters all the way out but I've still got an inch or two of slack.

If I manually take up the slack by winding the throttle grip round & then kick her over, I can rev the engine up nicely, so the throttle carb slide operates well & isn't stuck.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi Luke,

You do have a split conduit stop fitted like this in the twistgrip (excuse dirty finger)

Colin

only dead fish go with the flow