Fuel tap filters

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
SPRIDDLER

Re: Fuel tap filters

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Here's one a pal made up for me.
It's for the 'Reserve' side so has a short piece of brass tube brazed on to the tap first before adding the fine mesh filter.
2018-02-07 Petrol reserve tap 002 (640x480).jpg
2018-02-07 Petrol reserve tap 011 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Novel taps :)

If you want to mount screens to them I'd recommend counter boring them to accept the sleeve and solder in as per the video linked previously, (thanks Spitfire by the way for the supplier contact).

Modern reproduction taps are available to suit most machines and ethanol laced fuel but in this case I would probably choose to adapt your ones, ( a nice nod to the bike's history).

Regards Mick
helloluketurner

Post by helloluketurner »

How strange!

They obviously fit & do their job as they've been on the motorbike for years.

I've unblocked the reserve (it seemed to be full of a gasket coloured paste) & I've hopefully sorted the leaky union out on the RH side with some PTFE tape.

I've also fitted an inline fuel filter to collect any crud.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Neville

If you fit that in the Reserve side it'll be on the wrong side. You want that one on the offside as the Main. Then run out at top of pipe and switch to Reserve on nearside? Does this work with our "saddle" tanks though? All you'll have is the petrol unusable on the Main side because it can't get across to the Reserve side of the top frame tube?

What's really happening is making the tank capacity smaller for the benefit of an early warning. I reckon on only having about 25 miles or so if I have to switch to Reserve (nearside) tap; only had to do it very very rarely. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to be more than 25 miles from a fuel station.

Dad's Rover 110 had a solenid switched reserve which just start taking supply from lower down in the tank but our tanks aren't really one tank when things get low.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote:If you fit that in the Reserve side it'll be on the wrong side. You want that one on the offside as the Main. Then run out at top of pipe and switch to Reserve on nearside?
You're right John; brain fade. I had intended to fit it on the right (main) side to give a bit extra fuel when switching to Reserve. (The mod was just one of those things a couple of old boys do to pass half an hour in the shed). It came with other NOS 'clearance' items that I'd obtained years ago, but in truth I never used it as when I came to fit it the threaded inlet end was too large in diameter for the tank 'ole. It remains submerged in petrol in a large ex Soupe de Poissons jar along with a couple of others and spare corks in order to prevent them drying out and crumbling. No doubt they'll still be there when I'm drying out and crumbling.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bitza

Post by bitza »

That's how I did mine short bit of tube, around 1 1/4" inches long, filter one end, then solder to tap, fitted to R / H side, the L /H side filter direct to tap, same as Spriddlers.
Last edited by bitza on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

the nylon filter covers might fit your taps . you can also buy filter gauze to make your own filters for the taps , just need to do a bit of soldering afterwards .

best to have filter in the tank before the tap so it stops any larger deposits getting into the tap holes and blocking flow of fuel .

plenty of taps out there being sold if you need some more and also some people do refurbish old taps as well .

ewarts taps seem to have a few parts available to repair them and plenty of info on web about them .

shouldnt take too much to get them back to what you want if you have a bit of time and look around for ideas etc .

good luck
ian