1955 AJS 500 Twin

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
G15 Roy

Re: 1955 AJS 500 Twin

Post by G15 Roy »

Hi Rob I am fully aware about 1955 frame, but unless he gets it dated all you are doing is wasting your time.
Roy
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

1955 rear hub...

Life is beautiful and you have to enjoy it
bjork

Post by bjork »

ajscomboman wrote:Regardless of what wheels you have (they are 54 by the way) the front wheel needs to be swapped around with the brake on the left as you sit on the bike. The brake plate torque arm needs to be under tension when the brake it applied and not under compression as it currently is. It's not an uncommon mistake but it is definitely a serious safety issue.
I'd like to repeat what RobH says here, get the front wheel fitted with the brake on the left side! Also the left fork leg should have studs to fix the brake anchor arm as well as the mudguard. On the right side fork ordinary bolts are used to fix the mudguard.
Having these studs to hold the brake anchor is almost as important as the side the anchor is fitted.

Nice looking bike anyway and must be a rarity in your neighborhood? If your junkyard has anymore AMC spare parts rescue them quickly! I'm coming to India in March but not to your area, otherwise I would be visiting that junkyard before Roy and Dudley turn up with the van. ;) ;)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

bjork wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:Regardless of what wheels you have (they are 54 by the way) the front wheel needs to be swapped around with the brake on the left as you sit on the bike. The brake plate torque arm needs to be under tension when the brake it applied and not under compression as it currently is. It's not an uncommon mistake but it is definitely a serious safety issue.
I'd like to repeat what RobH says here, get the front wheel fitted with the brake on the left side! Also the left fork leg should have studs to fix the brake anchor arm as well as the mudguard. On the right side fork ordinary bolts are used to fix the mudguard.
Having these studs to hold the brake anchor is almost as important as the side the anchor is fitted.

Nice looking bike anyway and must be a rarity in your neighborhood? If your junkyard has anymore AMC spare parts rescue them quickly! I'm coming to India in March but not to your area, otherwise I would be visiting that junkyard before Roy and Dudley turn up with the van. ;) ;)
I believe it was Rob S that spoted the brake torgue arm in the wrong position. Not me.
Too late, Roy and Dudley are already on their way to grab all the 55 wheel hubs in India. Some one will eventually find a pair in my shed, stripped, polished, packed with grease and rebuilt. Ready for a wheel build.
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Thanks a lot for the interest the esteemed members here are showing on my bike. I feel privileged to have received so much in puts in this initial stage itself.

I would like to respond to your inputs as follows;
Rob Harknett wrote:I may have just the sprocket / drum part somewhere, which will show no rubbers. Just holes for the metal pins.
Please do have a look for this – I may be on the lookout for one soon, as now having seen the picture of this posted here – by member ‘Rudelan' – that I may be having the wrong rear hub. I haven't seen the bike for over 18 months now as its in my garage in my family home in Trivandrum, India.

[quote="G15 Roy”] Would it not be best to get this bike dated has anyone seen the engine or frame numbers?. dating&jampot.com[/quote]
Yes, I would like to get this done at some point. Its not too critical for me as the bike has its RTO papers in order and hence, very much legal here.
Rob Harknett wrote:1955 road model frame was one year only Roy. That's why oil tank and battery carrier fitted are one year only. They bolted on the one year only frame casting. Whatever number is on the frame it must be 55 or its been faked, as far as I know. See casting with the hole.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.31_20h45m48s_004_.png
From the picture you have posted, I am pretty certain my frame is indeed a 1955. While it may be quite possible to get a lot of things faked here, I doubt if the expertise to make the frame with the build quality of “British banger” will be more expensive than the bikes possible value itself
rudelan wrote:1955 rear hub...
Thanks for the photo. It will be a definite reference point for me.
bjork wrote: I'd like to repeat what RobH says here, get the front wheel fitted with the brake on the left side! Also, the left fork leg should have studs to fix the brake anchor arm as well as the mudguard. On the right side fork ordinary bolts are used to fix the mudguard.
Nice looking bike anyway and must be a rarity in your neighbourhood? If your junkyard has anymore AMC spare parts rescue them quickly! I'm coming to India in March but not to your area, otherwise I would be visiting that junkyard before Roy and Dudley turn up with the van. ;) ;)
I will be doing what is required to have the front brake corrected on a priority basis.

It's a rare bike in my neighbourhood. There are quiet a population of classic British bangers around, but mostly the 350 cc ones. 500 plus and specially twins are quite rare. BSA, Norton, Triumph & Matchless are the more popular ones with Ariel & AJS brands being quite rare

I will be happy to guide you to the “junk yard”.
Rob Harknett wrote: I believe it was Rob S that spotted the brake torgue arm in the wrong position. Not me.
Too late, Roy and Dudley are already on their way to grab all the 55 wheel hubs in India. Some one will eventually find a pair in my shed, stripped, polished, packed with grease and rebuilt. Ready for a wheel build.
Please let me know once its ready :)

Shall keep you all updated about the progress I make.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
clive

Post by clive »

Ram, welcome to the club. You are still not showing up as a member (it should appear just below your website name ). This means that you will not be able to see all of the website as some is restricted to members only. As an example you will not see the adverts until some time after they have first appeared. Send an email with your details and website name to Eamonn our computer whizz and he will sort it out. Webmaster@jampot.com
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Thanks for this Clive.

I ahve joined the club and can see all photos and adverts.

Have pinged Eamonn on this as suggested by you. Let's see how it goes.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

clive wrote:Ram, welcome to the club. You are still not showing up as a member (it should appear just below your website name ). This means that you will not be able to see all of the website as some is restricted to members only. As an example you will not see the adverts until some time after they have first appeared. Send an email with your details and website name to Eamonn our computer whizz and he will sort it out. Webmaster@jampot.com
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

I would'nt be with my bike for at least 15 days more. But been going through some restoration process bills and receipts and now I am pretty certain that the rear wheel hub is not likely to be the right one for my bike (I knew it didnt have the wheels and I cant see a rear hub being mentioned in the items we bought/procured - but can see a wheel set for a different make of bike being bought :( ).

I think I need to hit the trail to search for the right one. I came accross one in the www. It looks like this

Do you thinks this would be the one I need to look for ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
clive

Post by clive »

Ram you are showing as a member now. That looks to be the correct hub but I am not sure about the brake plate. Trouble is the 55 hub had metal pins only for the drive between hub and drum, just for that year and then they changed to metal pins with a rubber shroud to reduce snatch and wear. Both look the same externally but hub and brakedrum/sprocket need to be paired correctly.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
raffles

Post by raffles »

Ram
you might find the wheel hub sprocketdrum and brake plate in the secondhand spares at the club spares department
itis well worth an email but state what you want is secondhand good luck
Tony