1955 AJS 500 Twin

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
ajscomboman

Re: 1955 AJS 500 Twin

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Maybe if you looked at the battery carrier it will also confirm if the bike frame is 1955. Battery carrier and oil tank was a one off year for 1955 only. Both fitted via a stud or bolt ( cannot remember ) through the frame casting. 1954 carried and oil tank had two ear tabs that fitted on a stud either side of a tube. 1956 was pannier type oil tank and battery hidden behind a pannier tool box. That could be the reason why the bike has a home made box. If 55 it would be quite rare to find the correct part.
Quite correct Rob, 2 studs passing through the frame tube. AMC Classic Spares had some made but not sure if Steven has any left but worth a try.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Tube is a casting with a big hole in the middle, the battery carrier and oil tank fits on. Another one off for 55 was a bevelled washer under the fitting on the top of each fork leg, onto which a chrome dome pressed on. The domes also pop off pretty quick if the little vent hole in the side of the dome is blocked. I never lost any domes in the 50's, but did in the 80's /90's, until I drilled the hole a bit bigger to expel air when pressed on. Too much Solvo autosol blocked the holes I guess.
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Hi Rob,
Thanks for this. I am now reasonably sure that its 1955 model. As far as I remember the Battery Carrier & Oil Tank are fitted as you describe below;

I will make sure to post a pic of this once I return home.
Rob Harknett wrote:Maybe if you looked at the battery carrier it will also confirm if the bike frame is 1955. Battery carrier and oil tank was a one off year for 1955 only. Both fitted via a stud or bolt ( cannot remember ) through the frame casting. 1954 carried and oil tank had two ear tabs that fitted on a stud either side of a tube. 1956 was pannier type oil tank and battery hidden behind a pannier tool box. That could be the reason why the bike has a home made box. If 55 it would be quite rare to find the correct part.
Ajscomboman,
I am covered there. The Battery Carrier set up in bike has all three components as shown in the parts pic posted in the earlier post by Stuoyb.
ajscomboman wrote: Quite correct Rob, 2 studs passing through the frame tube. AMC Classic Spares had some made but not sure if Steven has any left but worth a try.
I will post more detailed pictures so that I can get more inputs from more knowledgible members here and make the bike more complete.

Thanks and Ride Safe
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If the bike is mainly 55 I would not worry about the pair of what are probably 54 wheels. The front is certainly 54. A battery carrier of the more common type with the two ear tabs, could quite easily be converted to 55 type. The two tabs removed, a bracket something like this welded on the back, for which I could give dimensions & position. There would also be a steady bracket from the primary chain case tab to the bottom of the carrier. Simple bent shape can be seen in the parts list.
55 bracket.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

Hi,
Pictures are from Webpages (not news parts from sellers)

In stock by Steven... in new
This type was fitted for 1955 only. Prices (2017) are:

Battery carrier body (back portion) - £30 new
Battery carrier front strap, chrome - £22 new
Battery carrier clamp assembly - £4.50 new
Battery carrier hinge pin - £1.20 new
+ Shippings cost
Regards, Rudelan ;-)
Last edited by rudelan_LAPSED on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life is beautiful and you have to enjoy it
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

That is 55, note one of the holes in the base may need cleaning of paint, as it is for countersink screw head. This fits the bracket goes to the primary chain case tab. This screw head must be flat with the base or it will damage the bottom of the battery.
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Rob,
Thanks for the pointers. I am certain that the Battery Carrier I have is the same type you've described and looks similar to the obe shown by "rudelan" in his post subsequently.
Rob Harknett wrote:If the bike is mainly 55 I would not worry about the pair of what are probably 54 wheels. The front is certainly 54. A battery carrier of the more common type with the two ear tabs, could quite easily be converted to 55 type. The two tabs removed, a bracket something like this welded on the back, for which I could give dimensions & position. There would also be a steady bracket from the primary chain case tab to the bottom of the carrier. Simple bent shape can be seen in the parts list.
Thanks Rudelan, for the efforts to find the right pictures here.

As I said above I have the same type of battery carrier on my bike.

However I am really interested in having a look at the rear wheel hub of 1955. Are you aware where I can find a picture? Would be obliged if you could point me in the right direction
rudelan wrote:Hi,
Pictures are from Webpages (not news parts from sellers)

In stock by Steven... in new
This type was fitted for 1955 only. Prices are:

Battery carrier body (back portion) - £30 new
Battery carrier front strap, chrome - £22 new
Battery carrier clamp assembly - £4.50 new
Battery carrier hinge pin - £1.20 new
+ Shippings cost
Regards, Rudelan ;-)
Thanks Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I may have just the sprocket / drum part somewhere, which will show no rubbers. Just holes for the metal pins.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Would it not be best to get this bike dated has anyone seen the engine or frame numbers?.

dating&jampot.com
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

1955 road model frame was one year only Roy. That's why oil tank and battery carrier fitted are one year only. They bolted on the one year only frame casting. What ever number is on the frame it must be 55 or its been faked, as far as I know. See casting with the hole.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.31_20h45m48s_004_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.