1955 AJS 500 Twin

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Rob Harknett

Re: 1955 AJS 500 Twin

Post by Rob Harknett »

nairr_tvm wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:Have you considered joining our club. You have limited time using the forum free.
Hi Rob, thanks for your suggestions. I have joined as a member already.

I don't know why its not showing up on my profile laready.

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram Nair
May take a while to show up your membership. The few people running the club are kept pretty busy.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Looks good to me with my very limited knowledge, I am sure you can find out exactly what it should be like on http://archives.jampot.dk
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Thanks for your valuble suggestion. I shall do that shortly.

The confusion about the model year needs to be sorted out as well. I am at my work place and the Bike is in my home town, hence don't have ready access to it or the documents.

Poassible that its a 1954 model and by the time it was imported to India and sold here by the dealer it may have been 1955, and hence the model is mentioned as 1955

There was a dealer in India until 1956 in Mumbai/Bombay. Unfortunately that operation without and trace.

ajscomboman wrote:Regardless of what wheels you have (they are 54 by the way) the front wheel needs to be swapped around with the brake on the left as you sit on the bike. The brake plate torque arm needs to be under tension when the brake it applied and not under compression as it currently is. It's not an uncommon mistake but it is definitely a serious safety issue.

The engine number along with year will be stamped on the left case and will be something along the lines of 55/20 *****
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Rob Harknett wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:No-one suggested swapping the wheels Rob just simply turning the front wheel around so the brake plate is on the correct side. I'm in agreement with you I wouldn't be in any rush to swap them for any other wheels.
It is related to suggestions / improvements Rob, having pointed out wheels looked like 54 ( not sure about the rear which may be earlier? ) Last thing you want to do is change them and the bike turns out to be 54 and not 55.
The rear end looks like 55 to me, but I have to wonder why that wrong battery box is fitted at an angle.
Rob, I have question. Did this model have a 'battery box' at all ? Was the battery retained by a simple bracket or was in a Box? The box you can see in the pic is only a stop gap arrangement - its also borken and hence it appears to be in an angle (that box is from an old RE Bullet, when they used to have the 6 volt battery).

Is there a authentic left side pic of the Model 20 anywhere? Even in this - http://archives.jampot.dk - I could find a pic showing the right side only.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

55 battery holder.PNG
There was no battery "box" as such on a 1955 model - just the clamp arrangement as shown in the 1955 parts list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stuoyb on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Have a look at this websites photo section. go to photos, then road bikes, then type in 1955 and maybe G9 and look for '1955 Matchless G9' photo was added 1st sept 2006.

Not many battery side photos to be seen and a lot are not authentic, but that one shows what you are looking for

best of luck
Janet

Post by Janet »

I don't think he can view the photos if he's not a club member.
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Thanks Stuoyb. This is what I was looking for. THe battery Clamp, & base as you have highlighted in the Parts catalouge is what I have behind that broken cover. No I can confidently get rid of the cover.

I have recently got a nice stainless steel one (off RE Bullet again) might use it as it can cover the modern plastic battery.

By the way the parts picture you've posted - is a full set available at any website ??

Stuoyb wrote:
55 battery holder.PNG
There was no battery "box" as such on a 1955 model - just the clamp arrangement as shown in the 1955 parts list.
@alanengineer. Will try and look up the photo. Thanks

@Janet, I am a club member and can see the photos. Thanks.

Thanks & Regards
Janet

Post by Janet »

nairr_tvm wrote:@Janet, I am a club member and can see the photos. Thanks.
Sorry about that. Your member status isn't showing on your profile yet.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Maybe if you looked at the battery carrier it will also confirm if the bike frame is 1955. Battery carrier and oil tank was a one off year for 1955 only. Both fitted via a stud or bolt ( cannot remember ) through the frame casting. 1954 carried and oil tank had two ear tabs that fitted on a stud either side of a tube. 1956 was pannier type oil tank and battery hidden behind a pannier tool box. That could be the reason why the bike has a home made box. If 55 it would be quite rare to find the correct part.