My sons "new" AJS Model 20

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Daveinater

Re: My sons "new" AJS Model 20

Post by Daveinater »

All,
Another quick question: Did I read somewhere that there is a place where you can have a bike's serial number researched so more history can be found out about it? My son would love to know more about "Pop's bike".
Thanks, Dave
Janet

Post by Janet »

The Club has many, but not all, records of bikes leaving the factory. These are used mainly for UK owners to re-register their bikes or retain the original registration number but sometimes just to find out more, as in your case. There is a scale of fees for different cases. See here. http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp

I suggest that before you spend any money, send an email to dating@jampot.com with as many details of the bike you have. Then the nice man will probably tell you whether he's likely to have any information or, indeed, if the information you have doesn't correspond with what it should be. For example, the format for frame or engine numbers. We don't generally talk about serial numbers. If he's likely to have what you need, then you can pay for the service.

As with all things here, the dating officer is a volunteer so may not get back to you immediately.
Daveinater

Post by Daveinater »

Thank you Janet! Much appreciated!
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

In case you are not sure, the bike details will be, frame number, which is stamped on the right hand side of the bike at the end of the tube running under the petrol tank. You should see it just above the oil tank above the oil tank. The engine number is stamped on the left crank case just in front of the left barrel. A gear box number may also be handy.
Daveinater

Post by Daveinater »

Thanks Rob! I went out to note those numbers but got distracted by taking it for a spin. As an earlier member suggested, I kicked the bike over several times while pulling the clutch lever in to "exercise" the clutch plates. During my short test ride, the first gear seemed to act more like THIRD gear...not much pulling power (yes, I shifted UP from neutral for first gear, lol). I'm wondering if the chaincase being dry has something to do with it?

I may (with fear and trepidation) look at how to adjust the clutch while I have the chain case cover off putting the improved seal on it, once it arrives.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Daveinater wrote:During my short test ride, the first gear seemed to act more like THIRD gear...not much pulling power (yes, I shifted UP from neutral for first gear, lol).
It is possible to find a 'false neutral' between 2nd and 3rd and also 3rd and 4th. Maybe you went 'up' from the false neutral between 4th and 3rd and into 3rd....... :?
I'm wondering if the chaincase being dry has something to do with it?
I can't think of any reason why it should, unless the 'dry' clutch is slipping.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Daveinater

Post by Daveinater »

Good thinking. I think I narrowed down the problem. I spoke to the mechanic and he had me add fresh gas and then pull the plugs and look them over. Turns out the plugs were VERY black and sooty. When I put the new plugs in, it cranked right up and ran just like it did when the bike was delivered by the mechanic. So it appears to be running quite rich. And when the plugs begin to foul, the bike runs poorly, and thus cant produce the power it needs to pull (my theory at least...admittedly I don't have a clutch on my airliner. ;) )

Thinking about it, the bike came from B.C. Canada, at several thousand feet elevation. Now here it is in Atlanta, at 1000' above sea level. Wouldn't that mean it would now run LEAN?

Here is a photo of one of the plugs. Both the left and right look exactly the same. Thoughts?

Daveinater

Post by Daveinater »

In the middle of the night I woke up thinking "oh no. It's burning oil." I'd love your expertise here. Thoughts?
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

are you sure that you have the chock turned off.
Roy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yes, it's dry sooty which means over rich. Shiny wet and black would indicate burning oil.
Modern plugs don't suffer cleaning very well so if you get poor starting/misfiring fit new plugs.
As Roy said, it does seem as though you could be running with the choke on. The choke is 'off' when the cable is pulled tight.
I doubt that it's an altitude issue. I've used my bike extensively at sea level and touring at 2000+m (c.6000 Canadian airline feet) with no noticeable difference. Here's our 'Adverts Officer' Young Clive at 2,400m on his 350 en route to Milan, 2 up. Maybe he can comment on the effect of altitude.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'