Primary chain joining link from spares department.

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
sunalp2

Primary chain joining link from spares department.

Post by sunalp2 »

I bought a new primary chain from the spares department, it is an IWIS. It came complete with a joining link.

I also bought some clutch parts, and there was another joining link included in that packet.

I've fitted the chain with the IWIS link, but I'm wondering if I should use the other one instead.

The IWIS one is plain steel, where as the other one is blue metal like the chain.
Stuoyb

Re: Primary chain joining link from spares department.

Post by Stuoyb »

The one included in the box with the replacement chain is from the chain manufacturer so presumably they are confident with the quality.
sunalp2

Post by sunalp2 »

Stuoyb wrote:The one included in the box with the replacement chain is from the chain manufacturer so presumably they are confident with the quality.
Thank you.

I have the chain all set up with, I hope, the correct tension, but wanted to clear up my doubts before putting the outer case on. :D
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Do not forget, adjusting the primary chain can alter the rear chain adjustment. Also kick the bike over and observe you have the chain C clip on the correct way round. This can often be confusing.
sunalp2

Post by sunalp2 »

Thank you Rob.

My old primary was quite stretched, so I had to loosen the rear chain quite a bit to get the new primary on.

Now I can get the correct whip on both chains.