Frame bolt question

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
JonHardcastle

Frame bolt question

Post by JonHardcastle »

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

I am getting back to my G9 project and need some assistance when it comes to frame rail bolts. This is a 1955 frame, I have checked the parts book however I am unclear as to which bolts/nuts are used to secure the rails to the frame. Any help would be appreciated.

Happy new year!

Jon
Rob Harknett

Re: Frame bolt question

Post by Rob Harknett »

You said frame rails so assume you have swinging arm.
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.12.28_14h26m59s_002_.png
There's a stud at the front, parts list should name the front stud and rear fixings. If a pic would help give me a shout.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JonHardcastle

Post by JonHardcastle »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply! That is exactly what i am looking at here. I am sure that I have the bolts (in the pile of stuff that came with the bike) but would prefer to order fresh. I am attempting to get the numbers so I can order through Walridge. Is there a mounting kit for sale anywhere? I have seen one for singles but not twins.

Jon
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I cannot see why there can be any difference in single or twin frame joint fittings. Other fittings through the engine plates may differ.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SDC14584.JPG
SDC14583.JPG
SDC14579.JPG
Hope these pictures help. I have had to resize them, the front rail fixing not very clear, but that fitting is quite simple. There is left and right pic's for the rear fixing.note the long stud goes through both sides at the bottom and carries the brake lever arm. Top are nuts and bolts. The bolts are probably a special length, so best to replace with correct part numbers. I see no reason to replace any parts with new, except the standard 26 tpi common size nuts and washers. The 2 top nuts and bolts are identical, only seen clearly on the right hand side pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Jon

There is some information in the Archives that may or may not be informative:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Spe ... ashers.pdf

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Gen ... 6-1964.pdf

There may be more but you will need to hunt for it.
JonHardcastle

Post by JonHardcastle »

Gentlemen, that is a tremendous help!

Having never owned a Matchless before and not having any in these parts is sometimes a challenge! However you folks always come through for me.

Have a wonderful New Year!
Vollgas

Post by Vollgas »

I see you have instructions for the frame. I bought a Matchless G9 in parts and now I am missing the bolts for the frame. And what else is included. Would be nice if you send me a link to the instructions. I felt like I searched the whole internet...

Greetings Timo