Avon tyres for '54 G80CS?

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Dave T_LAPSED

Avon tyres for '54 G80CS?

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Hi there, I hope this is not too old a chestnut,but, I'm needing some modern, more road oriented tyres, for my '54 G80 CS which I'm revonating. The original fitments are 3.00x21 front 4.00x19 rear.

I think Avon Road riders would suit me (hopefully suit the bike as well) as I'm keen on doing a bit of bend swinging on the little backroads here in Normandie.

My problem is that the rear size is not available in 4.00 the only approximate size I can find in Roadrider is 100/90 which is nearer 3.50 so will this size be OK? I think it might be better for road use as I am not a fan of oversized tyres and I do not intend to go off piste with the bike after all the work I've done on it!

I know there is a choice of other tyres available but not having used them I'm a bit reticent to try them and I've read that the Avons hold the road well, that being the "raison d'être" for a tyre, does anyone have good advice on the choice of tyre?

All contributions gladly received, thanks, Dave
ajscomboman

Re: Avon tyres for '54 G80CS?

Post by ajscomboman »

Any particular reason for wanting to run road oriented tyres other than bend swinging? The reason for asking is I'm running Mitas knobbly's on my 56CS and am more than able to keep up with the guys on road based tyres.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Good point, I've a KMX200 on knobblies and it takes a lot to make them "walk". My main qualms would be for wet weather but this bike will never see rain, so why am I worried?

Which Mitasseses have you got?
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Well, I've only gone and ordered the Avons. Thanks for the reply Ajscomboman but in the final analysis I just want what's best for security.

Keep the wheels turning, Dave.