Model 20 black plugs

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
clive

Re: Model 20 black plugs

Post by clive »

magneto ignition so i don't expect the thorspark is the problem.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

magneto ignition so i don't expect the thorspark is the problem. I still suspect that my problem is with the carb. Have you checked the float level on yours? mine seemed ok.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

Sorry if I have not replied yet, but the dynamo is no longer charging and then I brought the bike to an elderly mechanic who works here in Milan. Armature and brushes had already been done so I can't imagine why is not workin now :evil:
Anyway he is a friendly and nice fellow, but retired. So he works only three hours a day and I know that it will take some time before I can see my AJS :( . As soon as I have news, I will post.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

have you checked the voltage regulator box internal contacts
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

alanengineer wrote:have you checked the voltage regulator box internal contacts
I checked the dynamo output. I got a reading of about 2 volts. Listen the manual the the armature could be faulty but it is almost new. Armature has been changed 300 hundred miles ago. Now the mechanic will send the dynamo to a electrical repair shop :(
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Might have been a non uk wound armature, some work, some don't for long :headbang:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

saltbox alf wrote:Might have been a non uk wound armature, some work, some don't for long :headbang:
I agree. I bought the armature from the same place where the bike is repairing now. I told them their armature was new and could be faulty.... Of course they want to check the all dynamo. The problem is the mechanic is a retired and works just 3 hours a day, so the repairs are very slowy :cry:
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

Finally my bike is back home! With the new armature dynamo is working now. The mechanic also made some adjustment. Changed both idle and main jet with smaller ones. (15 and 200). Then changed the plugs with two Bosch W7DC. It seems running better, but I need to drive it more in city traffic. Will let you know.
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

Still having problems with black (and death) spark plugs :x ... Maybe the float level?

Here a pic of death FE80 after 25 miles at 60 mph :cry: Seems the fuel mix is still too rich

The other one instead is still working (already done 50 miles).

Post by 1608 »

Is it my eyesight or does that plug look like the electrode has contacted something? or have you cleaned scraped the electrode.Some plus have an extended electrode that can make contact with the valve head on our twins. Have you tried different plug makes. Champion NC5 are good.