Oil line feed & return connections

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Lex

Oil line feed & return connections

Post by Lex »

3.jpg
1.jpg
Just briefly, I obtained this bike, a 1957 AJS Model 20 some years ago and decided to take it to our Down under Jampot. Time was near to leaving and I tidied it up for the first test ride. On arriving back I had oil over my right boot. Disconnected the feed and return pipes, tightened all up and tried again. More oil on the boot. Was due to leave, so put in the bad boys corner and took my 51 18S. Has sat there for the last 6 years, as I have 11 bikes altogether. Tried again this week, started and after a couple of minutes, started throwing oil out again from what I thought was the feed and return connections. stripping down I found two other threaded holes, which do not seem to be blank and am sure the oil must be coming from them. I can find no manual reference to these, so I am looking for help from fellow members. will attaché photos below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lex Jepson
moley

Re: Oil line feed & return connections

Post by moley »

I wonder if someone has done this in order to push the bearing rail out. ?? Andy
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

Why not plug the holes with threaded bar, make sure that you still have oil pressure and ride your lovely bike.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

good idea Paul, were it me I think I would make up the plugs in brass or similar, kind regards
Lex

Post by Lex »

Thank you for reply's from Goldstar, pkr87 and moley. To explain. The engine of this bike was done by a good friend of mine (Matchless Engineering) in Brisbane, Australia, some years ago for the owner at the time who then supposedly put the rest together. When that chap told my friend he wanted to sell it, (never started) my friend told me, it was a lovely bike. I bought it, no questions asked, (Ohh Durr), Then had to repair all kinds of things before that first trial ride. My friend unfortunately, through health problems, can not remember who fitted the oil line connections. I think the connections of the feed and return lines should have been in a shape so a screw went into those holes? I can find no reference anywhere to this. The thread in these holes are the same as for the timing case screws. 3/16" x 32 T.P.I. which is BSCY or BSF. I thought I would plug these holes, but, there must be a reason for them. Hoping somebody might know the correct setup?
Regards to you chaps
Lex Jepson
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

The banjos are correct the holes are non-standard.
I think the suggestion by Moley is correct in that the holes were added to push out the bearing.
The holes should be plugged.
ericblincoe

Post by ericblincoe »

I have just the same on my G12 CSR, mine are plugged with wee grub screws. It is possible to contact the bearing outer at the base of the threaded holes, I agree with the previous post.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes, agree with Moley and Stuoyb, they should just be plugged . If they're the same as the timing screw holes they will be 2BA. A better method than drilling these holes is to put a couple of runs around the inside of the bearing ring with a mig welder, if you're replacing them anyway. This contracts the bearing ring and they just fall out. By the way your gear indicator's bolt looks slightly loose and its dropped down.
Dave.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Alright, thank you to everyone there. You have answered what I wanted to know. These holes are not standard. I wanted to make sure I did not plug them up and somebody comes along and says different. What everyone has deducted makes sense to me now.
Cheers to everybody.

Lex :beer:
Lex Jepson