Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin

Re: 1958 Matchless G9 Deluxe 500cc Twin

Postby helloluketurner » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:20 pm

bitza wrote:Pleased you got sorted looks tiny

Alright, bit personal..

:lol:

Postby helloluketurner » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:29 am

Jumped at the opportunity to squeeze a good ride in between showers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Postby Eric1958 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:10 pm

Hello All, I have just found this thread and so decided to add an update. I actually tried to do this yesterday but after writing it all out, my update failed to post so I thought I would break it down.

I bought this G9 from luke a bit over a year ago. I am 32, living in North Bristol (a place that was new to me when we moved now 3.5 years ago) with my wife and very small child. I grew up with classic cars and always wanted to delve in myself but do not have a car accessible garage. I have been motor biking for almost 8 years and have had a range of modern bikes (ZZR600, Honda ST1100, Yamaha Diversion 600, Suzuki DRZ-400E and now the G9) and love it but have been looking at how I can enjoy motorcycling within what I am doing in my everyday life especially with my apparently shrinking free time. A classic bike was my answer and it has worked amazingly using it for small shopping trips, commuting to college (the other 16 year olds looked confused on their scooters), visiting family and generally getting out and about as well as going for the occasional specific rides out.

I love it and have already made friends in the club which is great!

My aim is to bring any interested readers up to date as and when I can, partly for interest and also partly to create another record of my progress with it.

Postby Eric1958 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:21 pm

Here is a picture from an early short outing in March 2019. Possibly to go to the Bristol section pub meet (but I can’t really remember).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby Rosy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:36 pm

Looks nice I hope my G9 turns out like that, I'm in North Bristol so no doubt we,ll meet up at some time, is that Severn Beach? By the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Postby MalcW » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:02 am

I'm south of you (Exmouth), and have an AJS 650 twin. It doesn't look as nice as yours though. Perhaps we might meet up somewhere in the middle one day, once we're allowed out to play.

Malc

Postby 56G80S » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:31 pm

Hi Eric

It looks lovely. Ironically, I've just bought a Diversion 600 which I'd planned to ride over the summer while I did a major engine job on the G80S.

That plan didn't work very well, but stand-by for future PM's about how to do things on the Diversion, 1995, I'm the second owner and it's at 14.6K all genuine. Didn't actually ride it before buying but did have to do a short trip to get some pharmacy supplies today as not available in the village. It seems fine.

If I'd had the £'s I would've got an AMC twin but the prices out of range.

Johnny B

Postby mjf65 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:35 pm

Eric1958 wrote:Here is a picture from an early short outing in March 2019. Possibly to go to the Bristol section pub meet (but I can’t really remember).

Eric, if I get my 650 sorted your welcome to head a bit further North up to Wotton under Edge and the Vale of Berkeley, there are some lovely quiet minor roads I ride on. Once things calm down a bit of course.

Mike

Postby Eric1958 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:50 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your welcoming comments. I am looking to ride in all directions at some point or other so would love to take you all up on your offers as well as the bristol section rides when I can make them.

Looking forward to when we can get out again!!

Regarding the Diversion.. I bought mine at an overpriced £750 and 2 years of commuting 45 miles a day sold it for £500 instead of driving my camper daily. Great buy but I didn’t get too heavily involved with it as it was just a hack for me. Might have some parts for it, if I do you are welcome to them Johnny.

Need to get around to posting about the next part of the story. Will get to it soon I promise.

Eric

Postby Eric1958 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:36 pm

Right then, so when I got the bike all was working fairly fine with a few minor complications.

My first and biggest mistake was failing to understand the choke lever. I was starting the bike without choke and then choking it once running. I had not had a carb where the effort goes into opening it up before rather than pulling the cable to add choke. I couldn’t understand why it felt like it needed choke to run right - now I know.

I had started to get used to it. The gears being on the other side and upside down, having to adjust the timing continuously (which it needed at the time) and the way it handled generally. Also worth saying that this was the first kick start bike I have had which I also developed more of a knack for after time but to be fair to it, it always started first or second kick.

One evening I went to a meeting down near cheddar which is around a 70 mile return trip, the return part in the dark. I was actually quite impressed with my 6v lights. They were no 4x4 light bar admittedly but I was expecting far worse. I then pulled the bike out again the next morning to go to college but it just wouldn’t go. No mater how many times I kicked it or ran down the road with it. All she gave me was the occasional pop or hiss but that was it.

Stumped and frustrated I inspected a few bits and thought I would turn to the expertise of the Bristol group in the pub for advice and their experience....
Last edited by Eric1958 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to G9 / AJS Model 20