1958 Matchless G9 Deluxe 500cc Twin

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin

Re: 1958 Matchless G9 Deluxe 500cc Twin

Postby Eric1958 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:59 pm

As I said before, the group were very helpful, all listening to my explanations of what had happened, what was going on and the noises that it made. They asked for such detail I could barely remember the answers. Each month they offered their best bet for things I should check. Each month I did everything (that I could afford) as requested with no success.

After a few months of this, Geoff one of the members came around and had a brief look over the bike and my procedure before having a good go at starting it. I have to say there were more promising noises than I had received before but nothing more than a second of running before we ran out of time and Geoff went home.

Later that week and refusing to admit defeat, Geoff called me up and offered to have a more detailed look at getting her running but preferably if I could get it to his shed. I gladly accepted as we both agreed that snatching a couple of occasional hours between tending to the pitter patter of tiny feet was unlikely to end up with me riding through the summer. So I delivered the bike on a borrowed trailer soon after.

We thought that as it was close to running it shouldn’t take much, surely....

As Geoff delved in, with each part he removed he found another something that was just not quite right. Be it an incorrect screw or incorrect installation, poor quality components or doubtfully earthed electrics. Needless to say, as he found things, he put them right. By the time he had finished he had essentially done all but a bottom end strip down - and I am eternally grateful. There was evidence of quite a bit of money spent over the years with fairly new engine components etc in place.

Once it was all re-assembled and Geoff was happy with the set up it was time to try for the start. Still no success. Lots of Carb fiddling later, still no success. A borrowed magneto (Thank you Johnny!) and off she went. Geoff was delighted and so was I!! I received a phone call just to hear her purr before the borrowed magneto was removed and returned to its rightful owner.

Ever grateful to Geoff, I collected my G9 now knowing that with a good magneto she would go and that all of the running gear and other mechanicals etc had been checked over and that I could be confident in the machine. I sent the magneto off to Paul at APL magnetos and soon after received a phone call - it was Paul. He was laughing and asking for the story of this magneto, a story I did not know but he confirmed this would be my problem. In Paul’s words it was lighting like a roman candle on the test rig. The slip ring inside was shot - we think due to the cheap carbon brushes in the aftermarket HT leads. Proper leads and a reconditioned mag later and I was alone and setting the timing from the floor of my shed.

Vroom!!!! Life!! I was so excited. She was running again. I am so thankful to Geoff and know that I couldn’t have done it without him.
Last edited by Eric1958 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Eric1958 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:14 pm

Now she was running, I was quick to get out and use her. Resuming my effort to take her everywhere that I could assuming vaguely acceptable weather, a solo journey and limited gear required. She actually ran much better now and I was rebuilding my confidence in her reliability. Interestingly she needs far less fiddling with the timing control and wouldn’t stall if I got it wrong but definitely makes a positive difference when I get it right.

I have now changed the Kickstart lever to the new AMOC spares one so that it fits tightly on the splines as this old one didn’t seem to fit well and had the incorrect bolt holding it in place. I have received a new replacement seat from Leighton's in the proper size shape and colour, this has transformed the way she looks and is now clearly a proper matchless! I have installed an AMOC handlebar which curves earlier allowing me to get full lock to lock once more. I have also swapped the perches and associated fiddling so that she has combinations levers as she should have and while they are not quite correct she is all the better for it. Before all of this she received a really well deserved clean which makes a surprising difference (and seems to be required again already! I think I have only used her twice since the last clean).

There is still plenty of fiddling to go. Not really because it needs to be done to be used but more with the aim of keeping her on the road, in good shape and hopefully improving her as I go along.

My next outing and first since the lockdown will be to top up the fresh and dairy food shop tomorrow. I will try to remember to take a picture.

Postby Eric1958 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:17 pm

Rosy wrote:Looks nice I hope my G9 turns out like that, I'm in North Bristol so no doubt we,ll meet up at some time, is that Severn Beach? By the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes this is severn beach. :D When we are allowed out I would love to ride around and see how you are getting on. Seeing a restoration in progress can only help my very limited but growing understanding.

Postby Eric1958 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:23 pm

MalcW wrote:I'm south of you (Exmouth), and have an AJS 650 twin. It doesn't look as nice as yours though. Perhaps we might meet up somewhere in the middle one day, once we're allowed out to play.

Malc

Sadly Malc, they never look quite as good in real life as they do in the pictures. Mine has quite a bit of crazing in the paintwork on the tank and chips around the edges of the fenders etc. The decision is now what to do about it. Personally I quite like both well restored and patinated versions of classics. I like the way she looks but do not want to be the custodian that leaves the metal unprotected to rust.

Would be great to meet up - another excuse for a ride and I have friends down that way to visit too.

Postby Eric1958 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:49 am

Well it was only about 5 miles at 20mph with a noticeably heavy back end on the return but shopping collected and that seat makes an incredible difference!! It occurs to me that I have never ridden on a new seat before - like riding a cushion!

D9A1216E-9567-4C9E-8B92-4EAF08126E75.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby Eric1958 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:00 am

Well finally a proper ride! This time I did about 70 miles all on small roads towards the cotswolds. Was great and bike started and ran very well. I have undone the idle screw on the carb by 1/4 of a turn and it has transformed the starting. The seat is something else. I realised that I have never had a new seat before and it has made a real difference to my comfort on the ride. Very enjoyable afternoon. Here is a picture of my quick pause for a couple of digestives.

46D73B84-64C5-47D4-89C0-15ADD1D4FC23.jpeg

B588EE0D-5A23-44FA-8BA2-92E3BCD81073.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby 56G80S » Sun May 17, 2020 11:45 am

It's great when everything comes together and you get the rewards.

Replied to your PM and thanks so much for the offer, which I'll take up when COVID-19 Regs in Wales allow.

Johnny B

Previous

Return to G9 / AJS Model 20