Twin intermediate timing gear

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
moley

Post by moley »

hello i have just rebuilt a g9 as soon as it started it sounded a bit "cammy" i think i have traced the problem to the intermedaite timing gear....i took off the oil pump and the bush in the gear has welded itself to the shaft and the sprocket rocked from side to side... any ideas how to get the bush of the shaft... i am going to try tomorrow with as little heat.. but thats all i can think off-seems to very tight.... do you think this would make a rotating noise?? - very hard to describe noise
cheers

andy

Eric

Post by Eric »

You dont say what you think may have caused the bush of the gear to weld itself to the shaft [:(] thats a bit worrying. [:(] Can the gear now be removed from the bush[?] It sounds that way as you are asking how to remove the bush. My best suggestion at the moment without the thing before me to try it out is with a broken hacksaw blade in a padsaw type holder. (We have all got broken hacksaw blades) very carefully proceed to cut a slot in the bush, but without actually breaking through to the shaft. This will require time and patience. Then prepare a cold chisel or suitable screwdriver so that it will engage in the slot for a sideways blow. The next thing is to hit the chisel or driver from the side with a hammer and gentle blow to break open the bush. The principle being similar to a nut splitter, but by using a sideways blow this should prevent the possibility of any damage to the shaft that could occur if you just hammer downwards. Heat may work but you dont have much of anything to get hold of to pull the bush when hot, and if its picked up badly I dont think you have much chance. Hope this helps. [:)] [:)] [:)]