Improved chaincase seals

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
dave16mct

Improved chaincase seals

Post by dave16mct »

Ken, I just knew you'd be so pleased! Cheers Dave.
Rob Harknett

Improved chaincase seals

Post by Rob Harknett »

Depends how many mud tracks & country lanes, full of potholes of mucky water, you ride down Ken. On just one run I was surprised how full my chaincase was with brown stuff. It looked nothing like oil. I had only recently sealed the cases with silicon.
I think the new type rubbers would be good.
That would make the job easier, to regulary clean out the chain cases. I guess it depends where you live and how many unmade roads you use, as to how often the chain cases need a clean out. Years ago I used unmade roads on part of my journey to work. I did clean the cases out often, but did wear out a lot of primary chains that were running in sandy oil. Cleaning out the cases was almost a weekly job, which got left during winter, when it was most needed to clean them.
So my trouble was keeping muck rather than keeping oil in.
Trying to avoid potholes was the only way but impossible.
I even had to go over a bridge made of railway sleepers.
But the tracks/ditches were usualy flooded so you did'nt know if the bridge was even there. One dark night I just missed where the bridge was supposed to be.Edited by - Rob Harknett on 23 Jul 2012 12:06:40 PM
itma

Improved chaincase seals

Post by itma »

agreed Rob, keeping muck out is a different problem from keeping oil in.

but endless hours wasted faffing about with cocked eyed 'solutions' when all it need is the job done properly once.
Mckorkins

Improved chaincase seals

Post by Mckorkins »

Nobody's asking you to respond Ken. Just ignore it, if it riles you...but we know how you like to appear to be a grumpy old buzzard!

Oh, by the way, I've just discovered my scruffy old G80 was obviously put together by a Muppet as well the Model 18 had been: the whole of the clutch drum assembly was loose and the centre nut's tab washer was not engaged and even located behind the spacer washer on the shaft. Hey, ho, bear up one and all, for there's bound to be several posts and shouts for help as I explore the machine further! Crunching gears told me something was amiss this time. Edited by - Mckorkins on 23 Jul 2012 2:11:47 PM
itma

Improved chaincase seals

Post by itma »

quote: obviously put together by a Muppet

My mantra for years past, and it appears the problem is ongoing.

quote: Nobody's asking you to respond Ken.

That is indeed the answer, may the blind continue to lead the blind.
Mckorkins

Improved chaincase seals

Post by Mckorkins »

We'd miss your contributions. Please don't desert us!! This Muppet has always appreciated your help, as you know!! Edited by - Mckorkins on 23 Jul 2012 4:09:47 PM
itma

Improved chaincase seals

Post by itma »

what even the clutch PM's at 10.30 pm as well?
Mckorkins

Improved chaincase seals

Post by Mckorkins »

Especially those!

Found more minor (clutch) disasters on the poor old G80 this afternoon, but nothing too challenging for this brain to sort, thank goodness.Edited by - Mckorkins on 23 Jul 2012 6:46:43 PM
TommoT

Improved chaincase seals

Post by TommoT »

quote:
They are not the same. I was involved in the re-manufacture with Bill Bassett, who has them made especially for us. Our version is thicker, allowing a seal even with mildly damaged cases & has a large edge to fill the band, making them look similar to the "C" section type. They are also re-usable without having to scrape sealer off. I swear by them, not at them. Cheers, Don.

Yes Don, me too, swearing by them that is. I have used the neoprene T-type in your photo for the last 10 years. And it's the same piece I'm using, btw. originally imported from the US. And I guess I have had the primary apart once a year on average. Nice clean, cheap, durable and efficient solution. The original useless rubberband is much more expensive than this piece of generic weatherstrip.

So nice to re-visit this topic every now and then, gives all of us a chance to repeat ourselves, without sounding Alzheimerish!
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Don Madden

Improved chaincase seals

Post by Don Madden »

Thanks TommoT. I remember when some insisted tallow was the only cure for the leakage. I originated the seal mentioned, finding it at one of our large parts suppliers, Pep Boys. Their supplier stopped making it so another search uncovered a substitute at NAPA. Then that went away & could not find more, so Bill Bassett stepped up with his offer. We worked together to develop the profile. Cheers, Don.