touring with a 1954 18S

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
alpraphoto

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by alpraphoto »

Apologies to those who have already been bored by my requests for help in the 'general' forum! I'm taking my new purchase to france this summer, and having not owned a similar bike before, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice regarding the maintenance of the machine 'en-route'. Are there any weak points, or early warning signs of trouble, that I should look out for? Any routine daily checks that you'd recommend, for instance? If I make it there and back, then I'll probably have done over 2000 miles, so are there any service points that I'll pass, other than the usual 'plug-an-oil check' kind of things? Any frequent glitches that the experienced owner would know how to remedy immediately? I'd really appreciate any tips, no matter how obscure or obvious you might think them to be! And I'm sure there's lots of incidents to recount from the recent french rally. Cheers!
bjork

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by bjork »

Richard,sorry for being one of those who hijacked your original post.I wasn't bored by any of it and nor will you be bored if you take your bike on your hols.Tips;2000 mls is not going to need a service part way,as you say keep an eye on the oil level,but don't bother disturbing the plug if you don't need to.If the bike is in reasonable fettle before you start,you shouldn't need to carry out any repairs en route.A tip that Ian Dickinson and myself should have noted,the faster you go the more and quicker things do shake loose.If you have the older style N1 mag,the points on mine occasionally worked loose when driven hard for extended periods.Also odd bits like exhaust mounts tend to be prone to slackening.The best way to avoid these things is to drive at a pace these bikes were designed for,on roads that suit them.ie forget the autoroutes,stick to the N & D roads,they suit just fine.Maybe carry a spare throttle and clutch cable plus an inner tube,much more and the list starts to get out of hand.One of our members took a spare piston to France with him!I thought that a bit over the top,but he did nip it up(too much right hand again)although he didn't bother to replace it.Take your time and enjoy the scenery,I reckon you'll wonder why you worried afterwards!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
alpraphoto

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by alpraphoto »

Steve, many thanks; that's all great advice. I shall check which mag I have and familiarise myself with it! I shall probably also be round the bike every evening with a spanner, now! I won't be ragging it, I assure you! What would be the point of touring france on auto-routes?! I shall be pootling along, enjoying the echo of the exhaust through little villages and country lanes, and sleeping off red wine lunches under rows of poplar trees.
Cheers!
Biscuit
Deceased

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by Biscuit »

Hi Richard, The '54 18S should have the SR1 magneto, the NR1 was fitted to the 350. Maintenance details taken from the owners manual - every 500 miles,Chaincase - check level of oil, rear chain - if dry apply engine oil with brush, Battery - inspect level of electrolyte. Every 1000 miles - Gearbox - inject 2 fl/ozs of specified oil. Hubs, expanders (brake) and steering head - inject small quantity of grease. Small parts(?) smear all moving parts with engine oil and wipe off surplus. Air filter (if fitted) clean and re-oil filter element. It's a moot point whether we ever did all this, indeed who does it now?. Best of luck on your trip, and let us know how you got on.

alpraphoto

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by alpraphoto »

Thanks for that Alan. I don't know if the bike has an owners manual, I'll have to check. I'm ordering a workshop manual from the spares scheme, which hopefully will cover all that anyway. Funnily enough, I was thinking of asking whether I ought to allow space in the panniers for a grease gun - yuch!
You never know, I might find myself on the forum killing time in some internet cafe in france while I'm waiting for a parts order! But you can be sure I'll let you know how I get on, even if it involves admitting you were right, and eating some humble pie!
clive

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by clive »

Richard, Having toured France, Belgium and Holland regulalry on an 1954 18s combo, also G80 and G3L I can only recommend you get on and enjoy it. Yes I had a few problems but sorted them out or put up with it (eg only travelling by day when the dynamo packed up). Over 2000 miles don't expect to service just run a spanner round for loose nuts and fix whatever gores wrong,falls off hopefully nothing. Do keep an eye on oil as it tends to burn up more because of the higher temp. Don't worry if the pushrods begin to weep oil I consider this a good sign, at least you know it is getting to the head. DO carry a spare gasket set. With an unknown bike you may need to tighten down the head and there is nothing worse than having to cutout your own rockerbox gasket. (voice of experience : the cornflake packet lets the oil through anyway)
As my insurance includes overseas rescue I never worried too much becasue I knew we would make it home somehow even if on the back of a pick-up. Perhaps if you check whether you have that cover, or get it, you will feel more relaxed. It came as part of the Carol Nash cover (not checked with my renewal). Unfortunately following my accident last year I have only managed 20 or so miles so far. Leg still too painfiul to hold longer bent at the knee so Europe may be a year or two again before it is bothered by me. Enjoy, I am sure you will. Clive
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
silverarrow

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by silverarrow »

Richard,

Leave your grease gun at home (after you have used it of course!) The space can be used to bring back an extra bottle. I agree with the cables and innertube theory + a gasket set. Fit a new plug before you go check tyres and brake shoes have 2000 miles in them. The get you home insurance is the most important spare you can carry as it gives you peace of mind. On my original trip de Europe I took chain links, plug, points, condensor all wrapped up in a little tin and after 25 years they are still there. Les Smith
Keep smiling
alpraphoto

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by alpraphoto »

Many thanks clive and les! I've got the breakdown insurance with footman james. Amazing isn't it? The quote from the AA for three weeks was higher than a years comprehensive classic cover with unlimited mileage including the EU breakdown service. The FJ people are either very kind or very stupid; bless them.
alpraphoto

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by alpraphoto »

Thanks for that Ian; very encouraging. Also good to hear you were comfortable 2-up; I've abandoned my plans to extend the saddle after the initial warnings about it's suitability; there seems to be mixed feelings about this, so I'm hoping that our youth and slight build will carry us through....! Contact numbers is a great idea; if anyone wants to offer them, my phone book is waiting! I'm sure Alan would love to get a desperate call from me in the middle of the night stuck roadside in the middle of the massif centrale!
Very best