rebuild of basket case 1955 18s Urgent help needed

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Charles.
Deceased

Post by Charles. »

I am about to start on the rebuild of a 55 18s and would appreciate any advice as the best place to start.The bike was dismantled by another person nothing is labelled I am not even sure it is all the same bike! I have a parts list and owners manual but every time I go to the shed to have a sort out I just come out more confused.Is there anyone out there who has done this . Please help.
silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

Well you have not chosen the easiest of tasks but by no means impossible. First get the bike loosely assemmbled. You have a frame yes? Put it on a solid support 2' off the ground and start by fitting the forks then wheels, bars levers, mudguards and the rest of the tinware. The rest then can on the bench and should be mainly engine and gearbox which can go into separate boxes as can carb engine plates etc. At this point you should only have odds and ends left over? Now you can see what you have two of and what if anything is missing/broken/worn. By this time you will have been to a section meeting and related what you are doing. One of these other members will probably "offer to have a look" and give lots of helpful hints as to what is needed. You do not say what standard of restoration you are planning but by this stage you have a god idea what is best and/or practicle. Suggest you join the the AJSMatchless egroup lots of free and very informed advice http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ajsmatchless - Les Smith
Keep smiling
moley

Post by moley »

If you say what area youre in, someone might be local to you.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Hi Steven. I would have thought the first thing to do would be to check with the Dating Officer whether the engine matches the frame. You will then need to decide whether you want to cobble a bike together to ride ASAP, or get back to original spec. If you cannot tell the difference between gearbox types, early and later jampots etc, then you certainly need someone to look at it. As Andrew says, where are you?