AJS Model 18 problems

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Bob Harpin.

AJS Model 18 problems

Post by Bob Harpin. »

I have had the AJS for about 3 years (about a year after a rebuild) and have always been trying to stop the tappet noise. When I checked the end float on the rocker shaft, it was found to be excessive. Eventually I took the rocker cover off and found that the bushes were a loose fit and therefore the prescribed end float could not be maintained. On further investigation I found that the inlet valve guide was also loose.
It is possible for the bushes and guides to be put back with Loctite or should I invest in a new set of oversized bushes and valve guides?
The person who rebuilt the engine needs a kick in the carburretor !!

I am rebuilding another Model 18 which is almost complete. To complete the project I am desperately looking for a complete rear mudguard (1965 model one piece mudguard) can anybody help with this piece of tinware ?
I am in South Africa.
bjork

AJS Model 18 problems

Post by bjork »

I wouldn't bother with the loctite option,the stuff is very good but you'd be better off getting oversized bushes and guides made up.The type of places that do valve seat replacement work usually have the material to hand,and you can then make a better job of seating the valve too.I would say try Richard Gaunt for the mudguard,he can be found on the link pages to this site.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today