AJS 18s Forks

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
eagle56

AJS 18s Forks

Post by eagle56 »

Mine are leaking badly are they easly to strip and rebuild??????
TommoT

AJS 18s Forks

Post by TommoT »

Nope, quite fiddly, but if you have a good description or manual at hand, it's no problem.

I remember my first go at the forks, where persuading the seals to let go of the seal holders, was quite a challenge. A bit of heat and some raw muscle power did the trick.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
SPRIDDLER

AJS 18s Forks

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rebuilt my 1 1/8" forks a few weeks ago. Most difficult bit was withdrawing the bushes and seals by (as the manual said) pulling the stanchions against the 'bump' return spring. Nearly pulled the vice and bench off the wall. So borrowed a long (approx 1m) piece of scaffold tube and a very long piece of threaded rod and 'wound' them out. Easy peasy.
To stop the springs' annoying rattling against the stanchions when reassembled it's worth putting a length of cycle inner tube (nicked from a skip outside a bike shop) over the stanchions inside the springs. None of my usual suppliers had the 'official' rubbers.
Otherwise it was very straightforward.
Had to replace the stanchions as they were both cracked around 2/3rds of their circumference at the pinch bolt position.
Can't imagine how that happened but have managed to stay on the road since.
Added later:
Forgot to mention that if you refurbish and refit one leg at a time it saves having the whole fork assembly flopping around. Once I'd borrowed the puller the whole job took only a couple of hours to do. Cleaning it all up takes most of the time.Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 10 May 2007 11:33:46 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

AJS 18s Forks

Post by 56G80S »

It's also not straightforward re-assembling when pulling the stanchions up into the top yoke. Resist the temptation to use the fork crown nuts to pull them. There's a good chance of damaging the nut, the stanchion internal thread or not actually gettin them pulled home.

Relatively easy to make up a puller with a length of threaded rod, nuts to suit, an old fork crown nut with the top cut off and a spacer (I used a scrap socket) and some ingenuity.

Can measure up the one I made and pm to you if you'd wish.

Johnny B