Oil Tank Breathers

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Derek Cooper

Oil Tank Breathers

Post by Derek Cooper »

Will the guilty person please NOT tell me incorrectly what my bike's primary chain case is made of? I have a 1965 model 18 AJS. The oil tank has two breathers, both going to atmosphere. Anyone know if this is correct? Perhaps I should not be saying this here, but I also have a Norton Atlas, made in the same factory at around the same time, and on that, one breather pipe on the oil tank comes from the engine breather, and the other vents onto the rear chain. Should the Ajay be piped likewise? A second item in the same area, how many fixings should there be on the oil tank? Mine has two at the top, and none on the bottom, allowing the oil tank some flexibility sideways in the lower area.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Derek Cooper
Don Madden

Oil Tank Breathers

Post by Don Madden »

With that opening barrage you want our help? A friendly bunch here but not many have direct knowlege of the later machines as yours.

If your oil tank has a breathing tower at the top one breather will be the vent for it & most have a rubber tube connecting to the chain oiler.

Can't help with the other breather as I only see scrambler bikes of that vintage. Ask Janet--She may not have the info you want but will know how to respond.

Cheers, Don, the Thickskinned.
Biscuit
Deceased

Oil Tank Breathers

Post by Biscuit »

Nuff sed!!!!!!!!

poplargreg

Oil Tank Breathers

Post by poplargreg »

quote:
Nuff sed!!!!!!!!

Oh Alan, you must remember the devastating forces those words have unleashed in the past!

Here's a boring story related many times by my mother. In the 1920s her uncle worked for a sweet manufacturer. He was given the task of improving the advertising. He eventually came up with a picture of a boy's face with a huge gobstopper stuck in its cheek and the line 'nuff sed'.
This was such a success that sales took off nationally and the company made a fortune. The grouse was he didn't get any sort of bonus. The war killed the company and the advert. - but the expression remains and long may it live!.
Biscuit
Deceased

Oil Tank Breathers

Post by Biscuit »

Ah, but that 'nuff sed' related to Don's contribution, not to any statement I made.

Perhaps Derek will tell us what is incorrect about 'pressed steel'Edited by - Biscuit on 07 Apr 2007 12:00:50 PM

Don Madden

Oil Tank Breathers

Post by Don Madden »

I suspect his primary cases are pressed alloy--Well, I can't be right all the time!

After posting, I recalled that I have a 1960ish twin oil tank with two extra hose fittings at the top, back. They were fitted to breather hoses from similar fittings on top of the inlet rocker covers.

Cheers, Don the Elder, who learned tolerance from his grandchildren.